Battery operated lights with timer in mobile coop?

holysmokes99

Hatching
Sep 3, 2019
Hello all,

We have a mobile chicken coop/tractor that we move around our field so that our chickens can enjoy the fresh pasture and the field can benefit from all those nutrient deposits. As the nights are starting to get longer, we want to have a light in the coop that goes on early in the morning to supplement their light and prevent their laying from dropping right off. The problem is that we do not have electricity out in the field and can't run an extension cord.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a lighting set-up that we could use, using a 12V battery, some kind of timer, and a low energy bulb (LED I guess)? Ideally the battery would be able to power the light and timer for several days before needing a recharge.

Thanks!

If you are somewhat handy with electronic switches, this 12 volt timer will do what you need it to do. You will need 12 volt LED lights, as well as a good size 12 volt battery, so it will operate for extended days.
amazon.PNG

Here is link to amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4XP7QS/?tag=backy-20

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and:welcome

Hey I'm late to this party, I was searching for posts on articles about this so @aart just wanted to say thanks again and again for your input more times than once you've already posted an answer I was looking for. You. Are. Awesomeness. I'm installing lights in both my temp rabbit shed and my coop. I got a set off Amazon for under 20 bucks (led cabinet lighting with diffuser and metal track came with a dimmer switch) and I've hopes for them. I've wrapped all the connectors and the switch in electrical tape because it's not meant for the outside, but I can't afford a better set up right now. It'll do for now. Just my two cents, Amazon has a few cheapo sets fully wired and ready to go if you're unsure of how to wire that stuff.
I take no responsibility for any duct tape improvisation, do what I did at your own risk, it's not rated for the outdoors.

Hey there. Here's the setup in the coop. My main extension cord is coming up from under the box, which is a kids school pencil box mounted with predrilled holes and rubber washers. I've only got one extension cord, the water heater advised against any Daisy chaining, but it's not quite long enough and it doesn't have enough outlets. I just ordered a longer one after pooling our pennies with two outlets, that adapter you see makes me nervous. The light is great I've wrapped all the connections with electrical tape after being sure they're snug except for the white adapter thing I want to get rid of. The loose wire I taped to protruding screws. The screws and the length of wire that had contact were all separately wrapped before getting all tapeie with it.
Yes. That's a technical term.
Very scientific stuff here.
I did not seal the knob on this one as there's no switch to kill the light any other way (a timer seems to me would be just another link in a daisy chain. Imma ask an electrician tho on that because I'm only Google certified.) But in the rabbit hutch I did and I love it
Aart posted a terrific link to another article that outlined when it's best to add daylight (morning additions only, turn off before Sunset so they can have a natural transition) and it's been working very well for me. I wake up three to five hours before dawn so it's not a hassle to ensure they get their full amount of daylight.

Something I did see that screamed delightful coop fires and fried chicken fun- a Christmas display electrical hub with a remote... You could turn on each cord independently from your house.... Yeah that can't be safe door for what I'm using it for but it was A HUGE duct tape wielding kinda country girl temptation.
I think I need an intervention...

Attachments

• IMG_20191105_091701623_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191105_091701623_HDR.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20191105_091710061_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191105_091710061_HDR.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20191105_091637041_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191105_091637041_HDR.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20191105_091745146_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191105_091745146_HDR.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 75
Hey nice set and many thanks for the info. The issue I have is no mains power so would need to be battery powered.

I can believe that no one produces a battery powered timer light! It’s crazy.

Hey nice set and many thanks for the info. The issue I have is no mains power so would need to be battery powered.

I can believe that no one produces a battery powered timer light! It’s crazy.

Hey I feel you there, but my light is only drawing 12volt, I can't imagine the setup doesn't exist. Lemmie go hit another forum of off gridders there's a solution to this, probably a bunch, we just need to find the right threads.
Just a thought. Are you planning to swap out a battery with a fresh one and recharge the old at home or do you want it you charge at the site? I know that sounds like an odd question but the difference is solar or terrestrial options, which can get pricey, and are ALL super unique to your needs.
Want to use a car battery or a marine battery? Marine battery recharges and lasts longer but you pay for that. Those things can get nutty in costs unless you got a friend in the boat repo/repair/write off business- snag a good used one.
Whats near the coop? Is there a stream? What's the sun exposure like? How about crud weather what's that like?
I'm lazy.
I'd opt for a four battery set up with a power bank at home so I wouldn't even have to muck with power conversations but honestly if you're dedicated (and not lazy like me lol) you should be able to get er dun.
I'll see what I can find and sry if I take a bit my me time is kinda short

Ah okay I didn't realise it was a 12v setup. Good work!

I'm on a really limited budget with this one and was just looking for a light that I use in conjunction with rechargeable D Cell Batteries (or similar) that had a timer function.

Now this should exist but I can not find one for the life of me :(

I did see something on here I think that someone purchased from walmart years ago it was a lightbulb shaped light with the old mechanical timer on the front.

No streams near and solar wouldn't really cut it this time of year unfortunately.

I'll keep hunting :)

Back
Top Bottom