1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Battling Extreme Desert Heat

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mutt Farm, Jul 14, 2015.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

@pinkmartin73

Thank you... the cool part will be getting it all assembled. The ONE thing I cant do is climb a ladder so I have to hire someone to build the roof.

deb

2. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

My neighbors are big into 4-H. What you say is spot on. I have 3 Marans. A Blue Splash, a White and a Cuckoo. Lovely friendly birds. AI not happening here, not an issue in Ca thank goodness other than $5.00 per dz eggs. I looked into breeding. I want to hobby breed for show and perfection. I found breed clubs to be very helpful. Aracanuas lay such pretty eggs! Lemmie know where you go with that!

3. perchie.girl

4. pinkmartin73

pinkmartin73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    Pickaway County, Ohio

That's awesome. Maybe once I get back to work I need to rethink things. Nipple waterers are much cleaner.

5. pinkmartin73

Jan 29, 2015
    Pickaway County, Ohio

Totally worth it! It will be amazing when you get it all done. And an inspiration to others.

6. pinkmartin73

Jan 29, 2015
    Pickaway County, Ohio

One day, I would love to have a good breeding program. Mainly to get good lines into the hands of kids who can't afford top dollar birds. I can't do all that where I live now. Not enough space or money.

4-H is a big deal here. My son is in the same club I was in and my dad was in and my grandpa was in. Ours is the oldest club and one of the largest in our county.

Eggs are getting expensive here too. My girls started laying just in time! I definitely think Ohio and other states did the right thing by keeping AI from spreading. Poultry is big business here. Just too much at stake.

7. pinkmartin73

Jan 29, 2015
    Pickaway County, Ohio
  8. pinkmartin73

Jan 29, 2015
    Pickaway County, Ohio
    Omigosh! I had never seen lavendar orpingtons! I NEED those! And they are working on lavendar araucanas! How dare you tempt me with such pretty things! Now I wont be able to settle for just any old birds lol

9. perchie.girl

10. pinkmartin73

Jan 29, 2015
    Pickaway County, Ohio

The person on here with aracaunas messaged me back! :fl but i can see some lavendar in my future. I can see why they have waiting lists.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by