1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bay Area BYCers!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jeremy, Feb 3, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    That would be awesome! Then we would have two sources for these beautiful birds in the Bay Area.

I don't have room, plus I've never been a huge fan of Brahmas in general, but if I did have these space these birds are just too beautiful to not breed.

Cheryl, so 5 pens plus a layer flock pen? 6 pens? That's a lot of chickens! I sometimes feel like I still have a bunch and I did a lot of downsizing over the winter.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Cheryl, I LOVE the Coronations...waiting till you have a bunch of those chicks! or eggs....

3. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Quote:Yep it's a lot but FUN!!!

Who's the other breeder, I didn't realize someone else had the buff laced brahmas here [​IMG] Would be great to exchange stock every 2 years

4. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Quote:Should I put you on the list? I'm probably going to hatch chicks for this year

5. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    well, yes, I believe you should, esp since we will be in Bay Area so much for Pony Club again this year [​IMG]

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Yep it's a lot but FUN!!!

Who's the other breeder, I didn't realize someone else had the buff laced brahmas here [​IMG] Would be great to exchange stock every 2 years

Melina said,

Quote:I don't know if she will be breeding them but I'm sure she would get a roo or two in her order. Heck, I might buy a pair from her and keep them at a friends house just to have some too! [​IMG] They remind me of my Buff Laced Polish, the Buff Lacing is beautiful.

I wonder how you could get that lacing color on an Orpington... THAT would be to die for!!! [​IMG]

7. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Quote:From the breeder? his last auction was a dozen eggs for $1070.00

8. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    And the point of that is.... I plan on specializing in brahmas so the best solution to all of that would be to go to the breeder. Correct? If its something you really love then I don't think there's a price tag on them.

9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:From the breeder? his last auction was a dozen eggs for $1070.00

Possibly, I dunno where? [​IMG]

If people have bought from that source though there are probably others with eggs or chicks at a lower price.

How much do you plan on charging for chicks or eggs Cheryl?

10. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:That is what I keep telling my SO about Orpingtons... [​IMG]

I've looked into importing birds directly from the UK. For a pair, or a trio at most we would be looking at $5,000+ initial investment.

But, I looooooooooooooooooooove the Diamond Jubilees soooooooooo much!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by