Bay Area BYCers!

Born and raised Santa Rosan here, currently in the Sierra's but dream of the day I can move back home. I'm excited to be taking a SF trip in April, I'm going to take my husband to see Wicked for his Birthday, on Easter Sunday. My In-laws have an vacation apartment in SF so we will stay there for the weekend, and visit my brother who lives in SF.

Quote:
We live in Reno and we left because my DH got a great job offer. Turns out the great job wasn't so great and we don't really fit in well here. I mean the people in Reno are very sweet but I can tell they think we are a little too different. Are we Bay Area'ns that different? I've heard comments like this from other folks that have never lived in the Bay Area. We are definitely more liberal than most folks in this area but suspect it's more than that. We have had to travel to many parts of the U.S. on business and never felt out of place before but maybe it's different when you move in!
lol.png

We would love to come back if DH can find a job that pays enough and fits his experience and education. Most of our family still lives there including 2 of our 3 grandchildren. 'Til then I'm just gonna live vicariously through you all.
frow.gif

Yes, we are different. L0L.
lol.png

Yea I guess we are.
th.gif
Oh well.

Quote:
lau.gif
You are so funny, Hugh! I forgot all about my page. Okay, you're on. Let's both improve our pages. On your mark, get set, go!

forgot to ask, how's the garlic going?

Last edited:
Grew up in Marinwood till I was 22, moved to Sacto, then up in the foothills... we are just outside of Auburn now.... sorry but I don't miss the bay area... it is nothing like when I grew up there... we were out in the STIX!!!! Way too crowded for me unfortunately, but I have the best memories in the world and my best friend still lives down there in Brentwood.

Quote:
Oh, I used to go pick ollalie berries in Brentwood (a hundred years or so ago
lol.png
) They were sooo good! That just brought back some wonderful memories.

I found a feedstore in Oakland that carries layer feed for hens. It's called Madera Vista Feed & Tack in the Laurel Dist. off MacArthur Boulevard. It specializes mostly in horse products, but if you're in a pinch and can't get to a closer feed store, I'm sure it'll do.

1 50lb. bag for $15.
smile.png

Quote:
lau.gif
You are so funny, Hugh! I forgot all about my page. Okay, you're on. Let's both improve our pages. On your mark, get set, go!

My garlic patch is growing very well, I need to feed it some nutrient supplements this weekend. I have lots of aged compost to screen and put down.

My tree guy and I spent 4 hours in the yard today trimming my fruit trees, ornamental trees and hedges. We got a good start, but there is lots more to do
barnie.gif
My Gala apple tree looks like it is starting to bud swell for the oncoming Spring Time!

My chickens have eaten everything in the side yard, now I need to cut a chicken door into the side yard fence so that they can venture out into the rest of the backyard for more weed control
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I am looking forward to starting my BYC page, the race is on...Ides of March is the due date.

How is your yard and chickens doing? Did you hear that I am adding to my flock? Feb 25th is baby chick day!

--Hugh

Quote:
lau.gif

My garlic patch is growing very well, I need to feed it some nutrient supplements this weekend. I have lots of aged compost to screen and put down.

My tree guy and I spent 4 hours in the yard today trimming my fruit trees, ornamental trees and hedges. We got a good start, but there is lots more to do
barnie.gif
My Gala apple tree looks like it is starting to bud swell for the oncoming Spring Time!

My chickens have eaten everything in the side yard, now I need to cut a chicken door into the side yard fence so that they can venture out into the rest of the backyard for more weed control
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I am looking forward to starting my BYC page, the race is on...Ides of March is the due date.

How is your yard and chickens doing? Did you hear that I am adding to my flock? Feb 25th is baby chick day!

--Hugh

How long does it take to get garlic to a harvestable bulb? Is it biennial?

Apples....the squirrels in this county have gotten so bad that I didn't even get one apple from my trees last year. I'm thinking squirrel stew....

The chickens are fine. I need to let them out more so they can also eat everything. They like the neighbor's yard better than mine, though, so I haven't let them out as much this year.

I still need to wash Tatertot's poopy butt. Tomorrow, spa treatment for her!!! I lost one of my girls to a reproductive problem in November. I'm getting three new fluffy-butts in April. Straight run, though. I hope at least one of them will be a pullet. Two would be better. Black Ameraucana. What kind of babies are you getting?

Okay, Ides of March it is! But, let's agree to NO toga run at the end, okay?

Quote:
I may have a few Blue Wheaten Ameraucana pullets (or cockerels) available towards the end of March. If you're interested send me a PM.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings from the peninsula. Los Gatos born, now living in Mountain View, which I love! I presently have a buff orpington and a silkie who is nestled over 7 shipped silkie eggs. In the incubator, I've got cochins and welsummers; turning into a chicken junkie. To see more about my chick hobby hatchery take a look: homeschooledchickens.blogspot.com.

frow.gif

p.s. I'm always on the lookout for local fertile eggs, so if you have any leads, let me know!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom