Bay Area BYCers!

Hello Everyone,
I recently joined BYC so I thought I'd come by and say Hi to other bay area locals. I'm new to chickens and don't actually have any yet, still in the planning phase. It's cool to see there are people close by who are into raising chickens as well, most of my friends just give me a weird look and ask if I'm going to eat the chickens when I tell them I plan to have a small backyard flock. Chickens as pets seem to confuse them
hu.gif
If anyone has a tips for building a coop that will withstand the fog and salty air of the coast please let me know
big_smile.png
I want me chickens to be as happy and healthy as possible. I look forward to hopefully getting to know other chicken crazy bay area locals!
Welcome Savuti!! I am new to the world of chickens too (I've had chickens for about two months). You're in for so much fun! My boyfriend, Johnny, and I are a young couple who get weird looks from friends too! LOL Check out the California-Northern thread on here. There's sooo many awesome people there! Welcome again and hope to see you around!!

Welcome Savuti!! I am new to the world of chickens too (I've had chickens for about two months). You're in for so much fun! My boyfriend, Johnny, and I are a young couple who get weird looks from friends too! LOL Check out the California-Northern thread on here. There's sooo many awesome people there! Welcome again and hope to see you around!!
Thanks for the great welcome! I'm already subscribed to the Californian-Northern thread,
big_smile.png
haven't introduced myself on there yet though, definitely want to get to know as many people as possible. This site and everyone on here are such a great resource. My wonderfully patient boyfriend is still a little unsure about the chickens, but he's not against them, and I'm sure once we have some he'll be in love
love.gif
haha.

If you weren't so far I would gladly sign up for the class with you, but as it is It has to be something really special & only once in awhile to get me to drive that direction......LOL

Dan Famini does a good job with his poultry classes. He is an ex Sonoma County 4her.

Walt
Hi Walt,
There are still 9 seats available. I hope there will be a class. Maybe he'll invite you to come speak
frow.gif

p.s. spoke to Dr. Groverman ... yes, he remembers you! He just had a lamb sent to Bud's Meats for us.

Last edited:
If you weren't so far I would gladly sign up for the class with you, but as it is It has to be something really special & only once in awhile to get me to drive that direction......LOL

Hi Karen,
I know ... and there are few and far REAL poultry classes offered by colleges. Don't know if UC Davis has poultry classes or not. Ditto for other community colleges in the Bay Area.

Weekend workshops are informative and meet ups are great, but this course, if there are enough students enrolled to make it happen, is pretty extensive and detailed.

I'll keep you posted on how I do ...
caf.gif

Last edited:
Hi Walt,
There are still 9 seats available. I hope there will be a class. Maybe he'll invite you to come speak
frow.gif

p.s. spoke to Dr. Groverman ... yes, he remembers you! He just had a lamb sent to Bud's Meats for us.

I have spoken in his classes before....but not this time. I judged a lot of Fred's kids birds years ago. I was probably closest to his daughter Judy.

w.

Hi Walt,
frow.gif

I actually live just up the hill (on Sonoma Mtn) from Buds Meats, but re: the class, I also teach at Sonoma State, and have a class at the same time the poultry class is offered. if i can find anyone else interested, i'll send them to sign up...

best,
laura (formerly of SF/oakland, but now sonoma co.)

Back
Top Bottom