Bay Area BYCers!

Shipped eggs, eBay or otherwise, are always a crap shoot. you can get a 100% hatch rate, you can get a 0% hatch rate. Usually a decent hatch is 25%. I recommend learning how to use the incubator on cheap local eggs. There are a lot of things you learn to do to increase your hatch rate with a little practice.

Once you spend 100 bucks on rare heritage breed eggs you want those suckers to have every chance. ( or at least I do, I'm cheap, lol) we are in San Jose and have silkie, showgirl( well usually I have those 6/6 hens are broodie or have babies atm my poor roosters are soo sad!), olive egger and FCBM eggs, but I don't see those on your list. But if you are in the area and want to practice, give me a holler.

and Welcome to BYC!! And IA!
Also, i saw rare marans somewhere in the greater norther California area when I did a search a month or so ago, cant for the life of me remember where, but close enough I thought I could schlep out there and maybe grab a few birchens.

Last edited:
Hello all, I am a newbie BYC member from the bay area. I just started raising my chicks 18 weeks ago and am looking forward to our first eggs! I, like everyone else here on BYC, am so thankful for the wealth of knowledge here on these boards and have spent countless hours reading through so many of your testimonies. Thank you to all who have contributed to this site!

Our first flock started with 7 and has now dwindled to 5 as I lost one baby silkie several weeks ago and my cute little frizzle turned out to be a roo. Luckily I was able to find him a good home. My husband and I have just completed our incubator as I am looking to hatch a few different types of specialty birds that can't be found at the local feed supply. Some that are on my list are Crested Polish, Silkies, Lavender Orpingtons, and French Wheaten Marans.

If any of you Bay Area BYC members know of any breeders with hatching eggs, please let me know! :)

Deann Disilva in Novato has Lavender/Blue/Black Orpingtons, i'm hoping to get a couple of chicks from her in a few weeks -- you might check with her!
http://www.juststruttinfarm.com/breeds.html

best,
laura

Last edited:
Shipped eggs, eBay or otherwise, are always a crap shoot.  you can get a 100% hatch rate, you can get a 0% hatch rate. Usually a decent hatch is 25%. I recommend learning  how to use the incubator on  cheap local eggs. There are a lot of things you learn to do to increase your hatch rate with a little practice.

Once you spend 100 bucks on   rare heritage breed eggs you want those suckers to have every chance.  ( or at least I do, I'm cheap, lol)   we are in San Jose and have silkie, showgirl( well usually I have those  6/6 hens are broodie or have babies atm my poor roosters are soo sad!), olive egger and FCBM eggs, but I don't see those on your list. But if you are in the area and want to practice, give me a holler.

and Welcome to BYC!! And IA!
Also, i saw rare marans somewhere  in the greater norther California area  when I did a search a month or so ago, cant for the life of me remember where, but close enough I thought I could schlep out there and maybe grab a few birchens.

I couldn't agree with you more! Thanks for the great advice. I am looking forward to the process of incubation, my kids are bound to be great helpers watching over it with me too. :)

Hello all, I am a newbie BYC member from the bay area.  I just started raising my chicks 18 weeks ago and am looking forward to our first eggs!  I, like everyone else here on BYC, am so thankful for the wealth of knowledge here on these boards and have spent countless hours reading through so many of your testimonies.  Thank you to all who have contributed to this site!

Our first flock started with 7 and has now dwindled to 5 as I lost one baby silkie several weeks ago and my cute little frizzle turned out to be a roo.  Luckily I was able to find him a good home.  My husband and I have just completed our incubator as I am looking to hatch a few different types of specialty birds that can't be found at the local feed supply.  Some that are on my list are Crested Polish, Silkies, Lavender Orpingtons, and French Wheaten Marans. 

If any of you Bay Area BYC members know of any breeders with hatching eggs, please let me know!  :)

Thanks,
Haileigh

*Also, wanted to ask your advice about ordering from Ebay.  I have read several negative comments about it and was wondering if it has worked out positively for anyone?

Welcome to the thread Haileigh! BYC is awesome huh? Check out the Northern-California thread when you get a chance :)
Cheryl Cohen (The Omelet Ranch) has Lavendar Orpingtons but I don't know if they're laying yet. She's in Clayton (East Bay).

Welcome to the thread Haileigh! BYC is awesome huh? Check out the Northern-California thread when you get a chance :)
Cheryl Cohen (The Omelet Ranch) has Lavendar Orpingtons but I don't know if they're laying yet. She's in Clayton (East Bay).

Awesome, I will check her out!

Thanks,
Haileigh

Hi Haileigh! I lived in Pacifica for several years, but am back home in Santa Rosa now.

There are two threads for N.CA. Meg and many others are on the one called "California - Northern." It's very active, too.

Good luck with the hatching!
frow.gif

Actually we don't have lav orps we have the rare lavender MARANS, they are still very young probably 2-3 months before they begin laying

Back
Top Bottom