Bay Area BYCers!

Good prices for them or for us?? :D
Western Farm in Santa Rosa has coops. Not cheap ones, but very cute! You could also look online as I see coop builders posting on Craigslist with fair frequency.

Did you use the same process that Laurie describes, more or less? By the way, it was nice to see you again at the Modesto show!

I don't know Dawn. I watched a lot of You Tube videos & came up with my own 9 tray system that fit on my unused breakfast nook counter. Seems like I took pictures for another chicken lover if I can find them & figure out how to post them. I am not good at that....a techno geek I am not.!!!! I bought a black PVC shelf unit at Tractor supply & cut down the tubes between the shelves to a height that would accommodate the sprouted grain & 2 pans with 1/2 inch PVC pieces for spacers for drainage in the bottom solid tray. I think about 11 or 12 inches. 3 sets of trays fit per shelf 3 shelves high it was perfect. I need to start again. We dismantled it & stacked it out the back door but as I am feeling better with the better weather coming I am enthused again.
The next Chicken Party will be here before we know it. Jules (fortyfivefarms) & Dyann (Chooklet) are [lanning it for the last week end in April or the first week end in May here at my house again.
Jules & I will be going to the Fresno show soon. I loved seeing Chicken Lovers at the show too.

Hi Dawn,
I'm finally back to BYC. Been busy with goats, and learning about beekeeping! The peaches are already blooming here. Must get bees soon!
I've decided I really want some Pita Pintas.
Bee fever and chicken fever!

We got bees last year & they are going crazy with the almonds right now. We live right next door to an almond orchard & are surrounded by hundreds of acres of almonds all around this area. Dairies & Almonds seem to be the key around here. My daughter has harvested & put up quite a bit & she has made her own lip balm in tubes from the beeswax. We joined a Bee Club that meets monthly but only went to a couple of meeting they were so business oriented rather than backyard beekeepers. I read a facebook page for bee keepers too.

Where is a feed store that sells good priced chicken coops??

We bought an inexpensive one for my daughter at Tractor Supply. It was just for a couple of pullets for her for her own use. I agree that you can find some on Craigslist too but this is a bad time because everyone will be gearing up for chickens....kind of a spring fever thing. I made my pens from chain link panels & Home Depot kennel panels but ended up building 2 by 3 frames with stretched poultry plastic coated wire to match the chain link panels for a fraction of the cost. It just depends on your time , interest & tools. We had a lot of all of those but it can be as simple as a saw, a screwdriver & screws & a stapler. We did use tin snips for the poultry wire......LOL My son & I make a grat team. He is young & very able bodied & I have lots of ideas & supply all the supplies.

Where is a feed store that sells good priced chicken coops??
When Dr Dan spoke on management, he said we need to be able to open the whole coop to the sun. If I could do it over, I'd build A-frames with plywood, so I could unscrew the top & bake or scrub out any cooties living there.
Shone farm has a canvas yurt :). Very much worth a visit!

Hi Dawn,

I'm finally back to BYC. Been busy with goats, and learning about beekeeping! The peaches are already blooming here. Must get bees soon!

I've decided I really want some Pita Pintas.

Bee fever and chicken fever!

We got bees last year & they are going crazy with the almonds right now. We live right next door to an almond orchard & are surrounded by hundreds of acres of almonds all around this area. Dairies & Almonds seem to be the key around here. My daughter has harvested & put up quite a bit & she has made her own lip balm in tubes from the beeswax. We joined a Bee Club that meets monthly but only went to a couple of meeting they were so business oriented rather than backyard beekeepers. I read a facebook page for bee keepers too.

Lucky you :)
I heard that my local beekeeper makes $60,000 a year for taking his hives to almond country to pollinate the trees!

Lucky you
smile.png

I heard that my local beekeeper makes $60,000 a year for taking his hives to almond country to pollinate the trees!
We are strictly for personal use, family & friends. We just have 2 stacked boxes on a stand over a water try to guard from ants.

Quote:
I remember the first time when I saw the photo of, Elizabeth. She was simply gorgeous! I am so happy that you have your bantam Orps., and after you complete your grad. school degree, have a feeling that you will have some more LF Orpingtons : ) I have couple of Blue hens, but, I will not be breeding them for it is a big venture in it's self to be able to do the breeding to have the correct colors. I think for quite a while I will only be breeding the Jubilee, true Black Orps., NH, and the Ko Shamo which I adore. Actually these four breeds will keep me quite busy for my art work is quite demanding and does not leave much free time. Well, my life is split between the studio and the chickens. Ohh, yes, I am lucky to have such an understanding husband who is capable of taking care of himself : )

Lual

Back
Top Bottom