Bay Area BYCers!

Congrats on the new babies Dawn!
love.gif
jumpy.gif

Hey, just starting out in north concord. Do I need a heater in my coop?
How old are your chickens?

If they're fully feathered, mature birds, then you most likely won't need any sort of heat in your coop. Younger chicks still need extra warmth, but older birds are usually fine without.

Yes, I still have the Jubilees, and the Black Orpingtons. I can not imagine living without Orpingtons. Hopefully, late spring I will be doing some breeding. When we met, you were quite busy with your studies, and am guessing you have completed your degree.
Jeremy, when you, and your partner are in the area, please let me know. Would love you to visit, also see the birds.

Lual

I'd love to see pictures of the Lual!

I'm still in school, looking into graduate programs, I plan on getting my master's in Education. Still chugging along!

I caved.

I love my broodies, but unless i keep a flock of Cochins just for that, I can't get enough for my Splash Marans program. Sigh. It's a slippery slope, I know...

I caved.

I love my broodies, but unless i keep a flock of Cochins just for that, I can't get enough for my Splash Marans program. Sigh. It's a slippery slope, I know...
Dawn, I just ordered the exact same thing...
th.gif

Enablers unite!
lol.png

ETA: Actually, I didn't buy the one with the candler, as Orp eggs are pretty easy to candle with a regular flashlight.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Hi Jeremy,

Happy Valentine's and Happy Chinese New Year's (February 19) ...
wee.gif

When will you finish the Education / credential program?

Best,
Daphne
Hi Daphne!
frow.gif

I'm almost done with my BA now (in Anthropology/Gender Studies), then I'll be starting a grad program where I'll focus on Education. So I have another 2 years still, at least... it seems like a long road, but the last 2 years have flown by, so the next few shouldn't be that bad.

Happy Chinese New Year to you, too! How have you been?

I caved. 1588 I love my broodies, but unless i keep a flock of Cochins just for that, I can't get enough for my Splash Marans program. Sigh. It's a slippery slope, I know...
Dawn, I just ordered the exact same thing... :th Enablers unite! :lol: ETA: Actually, I didn't buy the one with the candler, as Orp eggs are pretty easy to candle with a regular flashlight. :p
Temptation is not fair!!! Bad
1f603.png
I know several breeders who have the exact same incubator, and they are very happy and satisfied with it. Jeremy, do you still have your lovely LF Orps? Lual

Temptation is not fair!!! Bad
1f603.png

I know several breeders who have the exact same incubator, and they are very happy and satisfied with it. Jeremy, do you still have your lovely LF Orps?

Lual

@lualshannon , I lost my rooster years ago, & that was the end of my breeding. I held onto my hens, sold all of my layers when I went back to school full time & just kept my Orps. My Black hen Thelma passed, & that left me with 3 Blues. I lost the hen in my avatar, Elizabeth, to being egg bound.
sad.png
The remaining two went to live with a friend who wanted pretty layers that would be docile around their kids.

SO right now I just have my bantams, which I love... but they aren't quite the same as the LF. I miss my big birds.

When I first started with chickens years ago, I started with a Hovabator. It worked, it was inexpensive, & low maintenance. Keeping the styrofoam clean was the only real issue. I always line the bottom with something that can be removed & tossed when it's hatching time in an attempt to keep the bator as clean & hygienic as possible.

Back
Top Bottom