Bay Area BYCers!

Awwwww!! Congratulations!

jumpy.gif

OK, I've posted on other threads, but I had to do it on here too. On Dec 16th I became a great grandmother!

Elias

I was always great, but now it's official!!!

Oleander Question - My neighbors have an oleander bush just across the fence from the ideal place to locate the coop, and it drops the dead leaves in my yard. Should I worry about :"the girls" eating the leaves and either dying or poisoning the eggs?

Thanks,

Dave
My brother has chickens and they lay under his oleander bush on hot days and he has never lost one due to poisoning. However, I guess there is always the possibility that one may try a bite.

I recently lost a Cream Legbar hen and I think it was due to Buckeye poisoning. There is a buckeye tree in the field with my chickens. I have never ever had any problems with the chickens eating the buckeyes until recently. Last month, I noticed a buckeye had been chewed so I was curious to see what would happen and sure enough within a couple of days one of my birds started acting Cocci. I treated the water with Corid and hoped for the best, but she continued to go down hill and died within three days. None of the other birds had any symptoms. I am pretty sure she ate the buckeye and it killed her.

Last edited:
My brother has chickens and they lay under his oleander bush on hot days and he has never lost one due to poisoning. However, I guess there is always the possibility that one may try a bite.

I recently lost a Cream Legbar hen and I think it was due to Buckeye poisoning. There is a buckeye tree in the field with my chickens. I have never ever had any problems with the chickens eating the buckeyes until recently. Last month, I noticed a buckeye had been chewed so I was curious to see what would happen and sure enough within a couple of days one of my birds started acting Cocci. I treated the water with Corid and hoped for the best, but she continued to go down hill and died within three days. None of the other birds had any symptoms. I am pretty sure she ate the buckeye and it killed her.
Sorry about that Deann

Hi everyone!
frow.gif

Does anyone know of a butcher that will process ducks in or near the Bay Area? It's time for me to thin my Saxony flock, I have 4 or 5 ducks that I will need processed. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you all!

I stopped getting updates for this thread, how did that happen.
Hi there,

I live in San Jose and just got a coop - no chickens yet, lol, working on that - and saw there's a Bay Area group thread. Mind if I join in?

Kerri
Welcome, we are in San Jose too, east foothills. Good to find more locals.
Anyone going to the Stockton show? January 25-27?

There's a thread started: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/727934/ppba-show-in-stockton-california

Hope to see some of you there. (I'm also on the lookout for a Marans or two. Or maybe a couple of those penedescensas? Need me some chocolate eggs...)
I may have some marans chicks. I have what I have now, but my roo got gotten by a bobcat so once they are gone Ill have f2 olive eggers for a while until my 2 younger boys get cracking and they get hens. If you are looking for younger and not laying hens, let me know.

How is everyone doing? All my plants froze last night and I missed the frost warning . I have been trying to save some of them today and its been annoying. I dont remember it being this cold last year.

I stopped getting updates for this thread, how did that happen.
Welcome, we are in San Jose too, east foothills. Good to find more locals.
I may have some marans chicks. I have what I have now, but my roo got gotten by a bobcat so once they are gone Ill have f2 olive eggers for a while until my 2 younger boys get cracking and they get hens. If you are looking for younger and not laying hens, let me know.

How is everyone doing? All my plants froze last night and I missed the frost warning . I have been trying to save some of them today and its been annoying. I dont remember it being this cold last year.
I just replied in the Northern CA thread to you - and forgot to quote your post! We just joined BYC and I'm still getting the hang of it. I also got no updates in several days from this thread... Half my plants froze solid last night, and the chickens one gallon waterers. I might have to invest in some sort of water heater for them! I think this is the coldest winter on record in the bay area!

(BTW, the BR "lap pullet" is doing very well!)

I'm only getting emails from 2 threads and that's because they are the only ones I resubscribed to. It's been a while since I got updates from this site, so maybe it's because I didn't know about some new things added and just needed to do it afterwards.

Thanks everyone for all the advice about olianders. I'm going to trim the branches that come over the fence and then keep a close eye on the girls. Sorry I took so long to reply but the last one is home from school and Christmas and blah blah blah...
smile.png

I ordered a set of coop plans from Plans Design and hope to get started on that project next week. I know it will be MONTHS before it will have any tenants but I want to get started anyway. Concord Feed won't get chicks for at least 6 weeks so I still have time to plan my mini-flock (Its going to be really hard to limit myself to only 3-4). I'm going to try to get to the Stockton Show, and yes I'll probably bring a pet carrier with me.
tongue.png

Happy New Year everyone!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom