Bay Area BYCers!

After our first winter with chickens, we put sand in our run.  We rake it out every once in a while and toss some new sand in it.  The sand drains fast and the poop just disappears into it.  The girls also love to dust bathe in it.

Sand is a fantastic idea. Thank you so much. We will do that this year.

I wish I had a pic to post of our silkie hen Sugar. When it rains, she gets covered in mud. We call her Pig Pen then, after the Charlie Brown character.

Sadly, San Jose has an ordinance that prohibits roosters :-( Several here have spoken about bringing one for a visit to get some fertilized eggs :) If you have cool neighbors you might be okay but if someone complains you will have to find him a new home.

trade to a good home. He needs care that I unfortunantly cannot provide at this time. The girls love him and he makes there day, but all he tries to do is fly away and I can't stand do keep him confined. My husband doesn't want to give him up, but realistically this boy Chief can do better somewhere else where he can roam free.

Curious if anyone knows of any groups or organizations, support group to be able to join in south bay, specifically San Jose for/about chickens or urban farming.

I've looked at the local farm park (Prush) but the only thing I see there is more just a gardening style group [vegilution]

Curious if anyone knows of any groups or organizations, support group to be able to join in south bay, specifically San Jose for/about chickens or urban farming.

I've looked at the local farm park (Prush) but the only thing I see there is more just a gardening style group [vegilution]

There is the sv-chickens group on Yahoo. Some of us get together for dinner several times a year, and I am hoping to set up a more regular event.

I use wood chips - not shavings - in the run. If you get the playground mulch or turn the regular landscaping wood chips a few times in a concrete mixer (An OdJob will work, but it takes a lot of loads) to break off the splinters they work very well. I don't bothers spinning them - I just set them in a pile to weather a bit.

I change them once a year. Since they don't hold water like bark mulch, and gradually decompose, when pull them I use them to replace aging mulch around trees and yard plants. I don't have to fertilize my fruit trees or my front yard, which is in native plants.

Once in a while, go out and rake them over in the run. You can lime and then rake (use the non-caustic garden lime), turning them and mixing them. It's a great way to use chicken manure without having to constantly clean it up.

Back
Top Bottom