Bay Area BYCers!

Nice to see more quail people
thumbsup.gif

Hi from a newbie in Santa Clara!:frow I'm excited to see there are a bunch of people from my area here! My daughter had been asking for a pet, but we are all very allergic to fur (unfortunately, since we all love dogs and cats!), so I thought outdoor feathers would be okay. We are now proud owners of six 12 week old chickens - 1 BO, 1 Australorp, 1 EE, 1 BR, and 2 RIR. So far, the whole family has really gotten into our chickens, and I love to learn more about them and how to care for them.

My current project, though, involves trying to tone down the EE's crowing. Sigh. She turned into a he and started crowing in the mornings a few weeks ago. I'd like to keep him, but I have a feeling he's destined to either be soup in my pot (if I can work up the nerve) or soup in someone else's pot.

Hi from a newbie in Santa Clara!
frow.gif
I'm excited to see there are a bunch of people from my area here! My daughter had been asking for a pet, but we are all very allergic to fur (unfortunately, since we all love dogs and cats!), so I thought outdoor feathers would be okay. We are now proud owners of six 12 week old chickens - 1 BO, 1 Australorp, 1 EE, 1 BR, and 2 RIR. So far, the whole family has really gotten into our chickens, and I love to learn more about them and how to care for them.

My current project, though, involves trying to tone down the EE's crowing. Sigh. She turned into a he and started crowing in the mornings a few weeks ago. I'd like to keep him, but I have a feeling he's destined to either be soup in my pot (if I can work up the nerve) or soup in someone else's pot.

Welcome!

The allergy thing is why I got pet chickens too. They really are pretty fun pets! :)

Sorry to hear your EE is crowing. :(

Hi from a newbie in Santa Clara!:frow I'm excited to see there are a bunch of people from my area here! My daughter had been asking for a pet, but we are all very allergic to fur (unfortunately, since we all love dogs and cats!), so I thought outdoor feathers would be okay. We are now proud owners of six 12 week old chickens - 1 BO, 1 Australorp, 1 EE, 1 BR, and 2 RIR. So far, the whole family has really gotten into our chickens, and I love to learn more about them and how to care for them.

Hey pm me and ill get you in touch with someone who makes rooster collars! They keep the crowing down at leady!

Thanks! I'm trying to make one of my own, first, but if it doesn't work, I'll keep you in mind. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $14 for something that looks like I could make myself. I'm hoping it works...

There are other factors that make me wonder if our rooster is worth keeping, though. He doesn't seem to be as sweet as some of the other roosters people talk about here. Since this is my first time having chickens, I don't really know what's good rooster behavior at this age. He seems a bit pecky. He sometimes peck at the other hens - not enough to draw blood, but enough to make them squawk and run away. He also tries to yank their feathers sometimes. Again, he doesn't leave visible damage, but is he being mean or just establishing his dominance? He doesn't like to share treats unless there's a lot, and will peck the other chickens away until he gets his share first. He has pecked at my face and my daughter's face a few times, but hasn't done it recently (we have learned to keep our faces out of pecking distance, too.). The main reason why I'm contemplating keeping him is that he's my daughter's favorite chicken, and they technically are her pets. He's also quite beautiful already and he isn't even fully grown. It seems such a shame to not at least try to keep him for a bit longer. Anyone have advice/opinions about whether I should keep the pet rooster?

Thanks! I'm trying to make one of my own, first, but if it doesn't work, I'll keep you in mind. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $14 for something that looks like I could make myself. I'm hoping it works...

There are other factors that make me wonder if our rooster is worth keeping, though. He doesn't seem to be as sweet as some of the other roosters people talk about here. Since this is my first time having chickens, I don't really know what's good rooster behavior at this age. He seems a bit pecky. He sometimes peck at the other hens - not enough to draw blood, but enough to make them squawk and run away. He also tries to yank their feathers sometimes. Again, he doesn't leave visible damage, but is he being mean or just establishing his dominance? He doesn't like to share treats unless there's a lot, and will peck the other chickens away until he gets his share first. He has pecked at my face and my daughter's face a few times, but hasn't done it recently (we have learned to keep our faces out of pecking distance, too.). The main reason why I'm contemplating keeping him is that he's my daughter's favorite chicken, and they technically are her pets. He's also quite beautiful already and he isn't even fully grown. It seems such a shame to not at least try to keep him for a bit longer. Anyone have advice/opinions about whether I should keep the pet rooster?

I'm keeping a Cream Legbar Rooster and I too made an anti crow collar out of velcro, The two inch velcro worked best for me. He's 9 months and it does muffle the crowing but he still does his best. I keep him and a pullet in the garage in a 4 by 6 pen at night and let him out between 10 and 6 during the day with the collar on. So far so good but it's still extra work. You need to correct him if he pecks at you or your daughter. My Legbar is not a aggressive to people and a gentleman with the pullets. There are a few threads on how to deal with aggressive roosters. If you need to rehome him Hosanna Boys' Ranch in Castro Valley that will take him. They just ask for you to donate a 50 pound bag of feed. Good luck

Do not keep him. He can inflict serious harm on a small child, such as a neighbor child who wanders into the yard. He is also a bad rooster to his wives, so he is right out because there is a.chance his sons will inherit his temperament. This is not behavior that needs to be propagated..

I'd talk to her about the dangers of his hurting someone to your daughter, and ask her if she would be willing to part with him for the safety of both the hens and smaller children.

Do not keep him. He can inflict serious harm on a small child, such as a neighbor child who wanders into the yard. He is also a bad rooster to his wives, so he is right out because there is a.chance his sons will inherit his temperament. This is not behavior that needs to be propagated..

I'd talk to her about the dangers of his hurting someone to your daughter, and ask her if she would be willing to part with him for the safety of both the hens and smaller children.

Sigh. I was afraid this would be the common opinion. He isn't really super-aggressive - my 4 y.o. daughter scares him and he runs away from her :lol: - but I am starting to see a change from the snuggly chick that he was to a chicken that doesn't like to be handled as much anymore. We do bop him on the head a bit with a stern, "no pecking!" scolding when he tries pecking at anyone, and he does back down, but I can't see that being a long-term solution. I have been talking to my oldest daughter about doing away with him. She got mad at me at first, but I think she may be coming around to the idea now that he is not as willing to sit in her lap and let her pet him. All the same, I don't think I'll tell her where the chicken stew came from when the time comes. :(

Back
Top Bottom