Bay Area BYCers!

Thank you! I am really enjoying these adorable chicks. The two chicks you have mentioned came out of big, what I call; basketball eggs. They were huge, almost perfectly round eggs which I had to candle to figure out which end was up. They were huge babies at hatch, and will be interesting to see what sex they will be.

More chickens? well, I will give the same answer that I give to my husband whenever he wants to talk about my chicken numbers: I have like 5 chickens; 1-Orpingtons, 2-NHs, 3-Ko Shamo, 4-Marans, 5-AMs
1f60a.png

I breed Jubilee Orps, NH, and Ko Shamo, but, the Marans and AMs are pets who add color to the egg basket. It is nice to have breeder friends who do all the hard work to perfect their birds to buy eggs from to enjoy these special breeds
1f603.png

Lual
Hmmm, didn't realize you were breeding.
roll.png
Some day I would love a couple of NHs. I have a hatchery NH that I like, but would love to have the real thing. A couple of Ko Shamos would look groovy in my bantam coop too. I got what was supposed to be a Jubilee Orp (project), but she looks more like a Cochin cross (or whatever was used for the color) with her leg stubble! The cuckoo Orp is good though. Can you post a few pics of your Jubilee Orps so I can see what they are supposed to look like.

Here's mine. Not the best pictures. They are suspicious of the camera.

Very young here.

The Serama cockerel gets respect from the giantess.

Her backside has gotten very fluffy!

Thank you! I am really enjoying these adorable chicks. The two chicks you have mentioned came out of big, what I call; basketball eggs. They were huge, almost perfectly round eggs which I had to candle to figure out which end was up. They were huge babies at hatch, and will be interesting to see what sex they will be. More chickens? well, I will give the same answer that I give to my husband whenever he wants to talk about my chicken numbers: I have like 5 chickens; 1-Orpingtons, 2-NHs, 3-Ko Shamo, 4-Marans, 5-AMs
1f60a.png
I breed Jubilee Orps, NH, and Ko Shamo, but, the Marans and AMs are pets who add color to the egg basket. It is nice to have breeder friends who do all the hard work to perfect their birds to buy eggs from to enjoy these special breeds
1f603.png
Lual
Hmmm, didn't realize you were breeding. :rolleyes: Some day I would love a couple of NHs. I have a hatchery NH that I like, but would love to have the real thing. A couple of Ko Shamos would look groovy in my bantam coop too. I got what was supposed to be a Jubilee Orp (project), but she looks more like a Cochin cross (or whatever was used for the color) with her leg stubble! The cuckoo Orp is good though. Can you post a few pics of your Jubilee Orps so I can see what they are supposed to look like. Here's mine. Not the best pictures. They are suspicious of the camera. Very young here. The Serama cockerel gets respect from the giantess. Her backside has gotten very fluffy!
Yes, I do breed, but in small numbers. Please do let me know when you are ready to have NHs. I will be breeding late spring, and keep the chicks until they are at least 4 mos. old to be able to have some idea of their conformation. I remember the first time I saw the pure bred NHs where I was in awe of their beauty, and flashing colors. They shimmers shade of Red's in the sun. Ko Shamo
1f603.png
I am head over heels in love with them. They are highly intelligent tiny birds who have no idea how little they are. I do have a young pair which I will be looking to place in a good home. Ohh, it is not easy to breed Jubilees, and getting the correct coloring and markings are not easy. I agree with you that there are good number of Orpingtons who look more like Cochins. Big round balls, and the only thing missing to be fully Cochin is the lack of leg feathering. Couple of my Orps., are English, look like adorable big fluffy basketballs, and they do not resemble anything close to what I see in the SOP. Black and Buff Orps., were one of the first birds I've had when I first started to keep birds 30 yrs. ago. One of my favorite breed. Well, I had chickens for many years, but did not breed any for quite long time. Your birds are lovely and they all look so healthy. Lucky birds to live in such a nice place. Here are some of my Orps.

Last edited:
Yes, I do breed, but in small numbers. Please do let me know when you are ready to have NHs. I will be breeding late spring, and keep the chicks until they are at least 4 mos. old to be able to have some idea of their conformation. I remember the first time I saw the pure bred NHs where I was in awe of their beauty, and flashing colors. They shimmers shade of Red's in the sun.

Ko Shamo
1f603.png
I am head over heels in love with them. They are highly intelligent tiny birds who have no idea how little they are. I do have a young pair which I will be looking to place in a good home.

Ohh, it is not easy to breed Jubilees, and getting the correct coloring and markings are not easy. I agree with you that there are good number of Orpingtons who look more like Cochins. Big round balls, and the only thing missing to be fully Cochin is the lack of leg feathering. Couple of my Orps., are English, look like adorable big fluffy basketballs, and they do not resemble anything close to what I see in the SOP. Black and Buff Orps., were one of the first birds I've had when I first started to keep birds 30 yrs. ago. One of my favorite breed. Well, I had chickens for many years, but did not breed any for quite long time.

Your birds are lovely and they all look so healthy. Lucky birds to live in such a nice place.

Here are some of my Orps.

So pretty. Love her swooping front curve. Mine was described as a project, but I expected it to be for the color, not for the shape! She will have a good home, regardless.

You can see Figgy is not really Jubilee or Orpington. She is a funny chicken though, and comes racing across the yard when she sees me coming just to see what's up. She lives with the bantams.

I saw NHs at the big Stockton show and talked with a breeder from up north who had the most beautiful birds. They went right to the top of my wish list. I might have room for some next year, and will definitely contact you when I do. I don't like to crowd the coop, so limit the numbers. As far as the Ko Shamo pair you have, I would love to say yes, but my goofy little Serama cockerel is going to be my only rooster. Neighbors are too close to have more than one cock-a-doodle-doo-er. I will not be breeding any. If you ever have a couple of pullets, let me know. They would be welcome with the tiny bunch.

Quote: This hen really caught my eye, Lual! Wow, these are gorgeous birds! They seem very balanced and not over-done as some Orps look, as you were describing.

LL

Holy smokes, these are the cutest leopard-print chicks ever!

Yes, I do breed, but in small numbers. Please do let me know when you are ready to have NHs. I will be breeding late spring, and keep the chicks until they are at least 4 mos. old to be able to have some idea of their conformation. I remember the first time I saw the pure bred NHs where I was in awe of their beauty, and flashing colors. They shimmers shade of Red's in the sun. Ko Shamo
1f603.png
I am head over heels in love with them. They are highly intelligent tiny birds who have no idea how little they are. I do have a young pair which I will be looking to place in a good home. Ohh, it is not easy to breed Jubilees, and getting the correct coloring and markings are not easy. I agree with you that there are good number of Orpingtons who look more like Cochins. Big round balls, and the only thing missing to be fully Cochin is the lack of leg feathering. Couple of my Orps., are English, look like adorable big fluffy basketballs, and they do not resemble anything close to what I see in the SOP. Black and Buff Orps., were one of the first birds I've had when I first started to keep birds 30 yrs. ago. One of my favorite breed. Well, I had chickens for many years, but did not breed any for quite long time. Your birds are lovely and they all look so healthy. Lucky birds to live in such a nice place. Here are some of my Orps.
So pretty. Love her swooping front curve. Mine was described as a project, but I expected it to be for the color, not for the shape! She will have a good home, regardless. You can see Figgy is not really Jubilee or Orpington. She is a funny chicken though, and comes racing across the yard when she sees me coming just to see what's up. She lives with the bantams. I saw NHs at the big Stockton show and talked with a breeder from up north who had the most beautiful birds. They went right to the top of my wish list. I might have room for some next year, and will definitely contact you when I do. I don't like to crowd the coop, so limit the numbers. As far as the Ko Shamo pair you have, I would love to say yes, but my goofy little Serama cockerel is going to be my only rooster. Neighbors are too close to have more than one cock-a-doodle-doo-er. I will not be breeding any. If you ever have a couple of pullets, let me know. They would be welcome with the tiny bunch.
Your birds are very pretty, and they look happy, healthy, and you love them which is what matters. At the moment I only have one pullet, who is paired up with the cockerel, and they adore each other. When I breed and have two pullets to place, I will definitely let you know. They are delightful little birds. Lual

Back
Top Bottom