Bay Area BYCers!

Lual, I'm sticking with Blues. :)

They've always been my favorite, I don't think there's anything prettier than a big round Blue hen with great lacing. Of course I'll have Blacks & probably a few Splash birds hatch as well.

I was able to source eggs from the same line as my previous birds, as well as another line that was imported last year. The gene diversity in the new flock will be great, & I'm expecting great type from these chicks. Their parents are the epitome of the English standard.

I've been offered a LF Khaki pullet from another breeder as well, but probably won't have her shipped to me until later in the year. She's the result of a Buff breeding, and is almost entirely Khaki colored. When/if I do get her I'll work to establish a Dun & Khaki flock, eventually introducing the Blue gene to produce Platinum birds as well...

Here's a picture of the Khaki pullet I mentioned.

Khaki is homozygous Dun, a "double dilution" of the gene, similar to Splash birds that are the result of 2 copies of the Blue gene.

She's not perfect, but the necessary foundation to build a beautiful flock of birds is there.

Quote: Thanks. She has recently undergone a personality change and is calmer. I think she just started laying. A new egg has appeared the last two days, and pretty sure they're from her. The eggs are ridiculously small (bantam Cochin size) considering how huge Buster is. Guess she's not trying very hard!
big_smile.png

Your chocolate rooster is beautiful. If only they didn't crow... or if I could afford to buy all the neighbors noise cancelling headphones.

I love the Khaki! And the shape & fluffiness of your Bantams is amazing!

Locking down my first eggs in a while today...and I forgot optimal settings
sad.png
(didn't we used to have an emoticon for blushing?)

Using an R-Com 20....turner off but still at 99.3 & 45%, with Dawn's lovely BCM, etc, and two Pekin duck eggs (they went in a week earlier)
yippiechickie.gif

What temp & humidity should I use?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Lual, I'm sticking with Blues.
smile.png

They've always been my favorite, I don't think there's anything prettier than a big round Blue hen with great lacing. Of course I'll have Blacks & probably a few Splash birds hatch as well.

I was able to source eggs from the same line as my previous birds, as well as another line that was imported last year. The gene diversity in the new flock will be great, & I'm expecting great type from these chicks. Their parents are the epitome of the English standard.

I've been offered a LF Khaki pullet from another breeder as well, but probably won't have her shipped to me until later in the year. She's the result of a Buff breeding, and is almost entirely Khaki colored. When/if I do get her I'll work to establish a Dun & Khaki flock, eventually introducing the Blue gene to produce Platinum birds as well...

I love the Blues as well, Jeremy.. Blues are such an elegant colour. How wonderful that you will be able to recover your birds by getting eggs from the same source. I was quite taken by the beauty of your blues, and with your knowledge of genetics, you will have drop dead gorgeous birds.

I never saw a LF Khaki in person before, but the colors on your photo are beautiful. ohh, my! you will have an exquisite flock of Orps., in the future. And...........you live so close by........hmmmmm...... : ) : )

Oh, are the Blacks you will be hatching True Blacks? if so, if you have an extra that you can share please let me know.

Lual

Here's a picture of the Khaki pullet I mentioned.

Khaki is homozygous Dun, a "double dilution" of the gene, similar to Splash birds that are the result of 2 copies of the Blue gene.

She's not perfect, but the necessary foundation to build a beautiful flock of birds is there.
She is lovely, and definitely have good qualities to use as a foundation of what you are planning to achieve. Did they get this colour from BuffXBuff breeding?

Lual

I love the Khaki! And the shape & fluffiness of your Bantams is amazing!

Locking down my first eggs in a while today...and I forgot optimal settings
sad.png
(didn't we used to have an emoticon for blushing?)

Using an R-Com 20....turner off but still at 99.3 & 45%, with Dawn's lovely BCM, etc, and two Pekin duck eggs (they went in a week earlier)
yippiechickie.gif

What temp & humidity should I use?

Thanks!

Hi Laurie,

I wish you best of luck with your hatch. I hope all your eggs hatch. Dawn's Marans are adorable, beautiful and quite big when they hatch.
I am sending you a PM.

Lual

I wanted to share some photos of my Muscovy ducks. They are Walt Leonard-fowlman01- birds. I love their quiet, gentle personality, and the sounds of the female which reminds me of water droplets. Very exotic. Their names are: Mr. Wags, and Mrs. Pips. Oh, Mr. Wags is literally huge!

Lual

I wanted to share some photos of my Muscovy ducks. They are Walt Leonard-fowlman01- birds. I love their quiet, gentle personality, and the sounds of the female which reminds me of water droplets. Very exotic. Their names are: Mr. Wags, and Mrs. Pips. Oh, Mr. Wags is literally huge! Lual
they are beautiful! I love scovies.

Back
Top Bottom