Bay Area BYCers!

Hey, to my fellow Bay chicken folks. I found a cool little feed store in Richmond Ca reasonable prices . El Granero on Church lane. Here in Vallejo we have Powell bros on Broadway. They carry Modesto mills and will order for you. Recently I found a place in San Francisco's Bernal Hts. that's carrying chicken supplies, Bernal Beast,lots of organic, lots of over price. P.S. anyone with Orpingtons near me?

P.S. anyone with Orpingtons near me?
frow.gif

We raise bantam BBS, Chocolate, and Mauve.

Also, Pollinate Farm & Garden in Oakland is a great local resource.

It's in the upper Fruitvale district, and they have a whole slew of chicken/organic gardening/urban farming supplies.

Hi all. I just joined BYC. I don't have any chickens yet. I need to try to build a coop or buy an inexpensive coop. I'm on 2.5 acres in Concord, CA. My neighbors have chickens so they are fine with me getting some. My goal is to have 3 full size or 5-6 Bantam pullets. I'm in the city so a Rooster would not work.

I've had 3 EE Hens in the past. Super sweet, I raised them from week old on. I just want enough to lay eggs for 3 adults with maybe a few extra to share.

I'm on disability, so options are limited at the moment so I'm reading up and trying to plan stuff once I get some materials or find a used coop. I'd prefer an enclosed area with an option for free range when my Whippet puppy is not loose.

For now I like super friendly docile birds, but I'm also fascinated by some of the rarer, less common or heritage breeds. I've had Easter Eggers and the Orpingtons sound sweet but going by looks the Seabrights are striking.

Glad to see so many Chicken people in my area
1f44d-1f3fc.png
1f424.png
1f424.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f413.png

Hi all. I just joined BYC. I don't have any chickens yet. I need to try to build a coop or buy an inexpensive coop. I'm on 2.5 acres in Concord, CA. My neighbors have chickens so they are fine with me getting some. My goal is to have 3 full size or 5-6 Bantam pullets. I'm in the city so a Rooster would not work.

I've had 3 EE Hens in the past. Super sweet, I raised them from week old on. I just want enough to lay eggs for 3 adults with maybe a few extra to share.

I'm on disability, so options are limited at the moment so I'm reading up and trying to plan stuff once I get some materials or find a used coop. I'd prefer an enclosed area with an option for free range when my Whippet puppy is not loose.

For now I like super friendly docile birds, but I'm also fascinated by some of the rarer, less common or heritage breeds. I've had Easter Eggers and the Orpingtons sound sweet but going by looks the Seabrights are striking.

Glad to see so many Chicken people in my area
1f44d-1f3fc.png
1f424.png
1f424.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f413.png
Welcome! Glad you found this thread!
You can be very creative in what you make your coop from. As long as the chickens have what they need and are safe, they don't really care! A blue/green, light and dark brown egg layer would make a pretty collection, if you decide on large fowl (LF). Sebrights have teensy, bitsy eggs, so think about that as well before you choose. If you like small birds, I love the bantam cochins we have for the 4-H kids, and they lay a cutie little pink egg...when they are not broody. Another issue to consider. Jeremy, are the bantam Orps as broody as a cochin?

Hi all. I just joined BYC. I don't have any chickens yet ... Easter Eggers and the Orpingtons sound sweet...

welcome-byc.gif
@Coursair !

I've got bantam Orpington chicks growing out everywhere, I won't be keeping but maybe a quarter of what I hatch this Spring, so I'll definitely have birds to share, if you do decide to give the breed a go. I love my little Orps. They're docile, sweet hens. They're productive for a bantam, I get around 4-5 eggs per week per bird.

Have you checked craigslist for materials to build your coop?

I'm not sure of your budget, but I was looking for small coops the other day for a friend, and there were several ads on CL that were in the $50-$100 range. I always try to used reclaimed, or repurposed materials to keep my chicken costs on the cheap side... no pun intended.
tongue.png

Another great resource for low cost materials is the Habitat for Humanity Reuse Store, http://www.habitat.org/restores. Depending on the location, they might have materials you could salvage to use for a coop.

Jeremy, are the bantam Orps as broody as a cochin?

Hi @dldolan ! I thought about you the other day, we finally cut the last wine barrel we got from you years ago, and planted citrus trees. The inside of the barrel was a beautiful deep purple/burgundy color.

My Orps are consistently broody every year, though not every hen will try to hatch eggs. So I don't think they're quite as persistent as bantam Cochins.
lol.png
My oldest hen, Thelma, has decided to sit already, which surprised me. I haven't had a broody this early in the year before. She should have chicks in about two weeks.

I've gotta give her an A for effort... she's sitting on 11 eggs! She's a smaller girl, I think she only weighs around 3 pounds.

Last edited:
My Black Orpington "Blackie" layed her first egg today. Just wondering what the egg size difference is with Bantam Orps compared to the full size Orps. Any Bay area folks with Goldlace Orpingtons?
@2MotherCluckers congrats on your new layer!

I've had LF Orps in the past, they're eggs were often large/jumbo sized, similar to the size of most store bought brown eggs.

My bantams are about 1/2 of the size of LF/grocery store eggs, significantly smaller, but larger than most of the teeny tiny bantam breeds.

Hope that helps?
wink.png

Last edited:
New to BYC and from oakdale california have some bantam chicks and standard lace wyandottes. Looking forward to learning about the chicken habit. I raise sheep and cattle and have horses so why not chickens too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom