Bay Area BYCers!

Quote:
No, you are correct. Chickens can do quite well down into single digits without problems. A wide roost (so they can cover their feet completely with their bodies when roosting) and a coop without drafts is much more important than a warming light. In fact warming lights come with their own problems... One danger is fire from a fallen light fixture and the other problem is when the electricity goes out when the chooks are used to a very warm coop. The sudden change is much worse for them.

Also too few chickens in a large coop makes it hard for them to keep the space warm enough with their own bodies. A light on at sundown can also confuse them, since a lack of daylight is what triggers them to head in for the night and roost.

If you can't resist using a lamp (I have to admit I'm one of those that can't resist), set it on an automatic timer and have it come on at 4 in the morning and turn off again at 8 am. Then you've got the coldest part of the night covered (coldest time of day is about 20 minutes after sunrise). The benefits of added light is that you will still get eggs during the short winter days.

Yes I know some folks will be angry with me for this last comment. They are sure that chickens need that rest during winter and a lack of winter rest is bad for them but on or near the equator chickens do quite well on their own and never have a winter rest. I figure a few hours light is not going to do much harm and I just can't bring myself to buy store bought eggs. Besides then I would be encouraging the horrendous treatment that large chicken farms practice on their poor chickens.

Mine are doing fine without heat in their coop, I would worry about the tiny pyncheon but they are pretty smart, she wedges herself under the cochin to keep warm.

The young birds I worry about, the ones just adjusting from moving out of the brooder, this time its those crazy quails, its just irritating all the work through a warm week building a hutch then when its nearly done we get a frost
roll.png

BTW anyone here also have coturnix quail? if anyone happens to need some boys to add to their breeding gene pool LMK I have some pretty ones looking for new home (free if for breeding or pets) also if you breed them I'm looking to buy a few girls of any coloring.

Quote:
What is considered a "wide" roost? 1 inch? 4 inches? More?

That would depend on the size of your chickens. I have medium sized fowl so I need at least a 3" diameter roost for mine but the roost I have is 3-4.5" wide (I used an uprooted tree). Just check the length of their feet. If their feet are 4" from tip of back toe to front toe I would use a 4" diameter pole (round objects are easier for them to grab and roost on but I know of many folks that use a 2x4 on it's side and say it works fine).
smile.png

Yeah, I would agree that you need a big enough roost for their feet to comfortably spread out. Unlike parrots, whose toes curl naturally to grip the perch, and who stay perched most of the day, chicken feet are built for walking and being more flat. They need a slightly larger diameter to be comfortable.

I also used a natural tree branch in my coop, but will be replacing it soon. One end is too small for their comfort. Now that I have more birds, they use the entire branch. Two birds always end up on the skinny end. I do plan to replace it with another natural branch, though. Many people love to use 2x4s, though.

I just hatched 4 Easter eggers that are available

2 came from blue eggs and are traditional chipmunk style

2 came from olive eggs and are blond with light blue stripes

Back
Top Bottom