Bay Area BYCers!

Quote:
LOL.
cool.png

I never thought when I started this thread it would grow to be what it is today.
Thanks guys for all the great conversation!
thumbsup.gif

It means that maybe the breed has become almost extinct or has not been bred to standard of perfection, and that the breeder must then work very hard to keep only the best that represent the standard and work to get a really strong flock that represents that standard and can produce copy cat chicks time and time again.

That's what I'll be working for in all my flocks. It can take 10+ years

Except Mille Fleur Leghorns don't have a standard as they haven't been admitted to the APA.
wink.png

I don't even know if there is a proposed SOP.

Last edited:
Quote:
Jeremy of course, I know that, but the same as the coronation sussex breeding where there is not standard, you breed to sussex standard and then the proposed color pattern.

So for the MFLs, breed to the standard of let's say the white leghorn for type and then use the mille fleur color standard from say the Mille Fleur d'Uccle. This is what is being done at the other breeders
wink.png
wink.png

I have over a million eggs in the incubator hatching this week!!
lol.png

These are the breeds I will have available if anyone "needs" more chicks. They all come from some of the best breeders in the country and the coronation sussex are Sir Giles progeny, They will be vaccinated as well.

Welsummer and black olive eggers from pinkchick
Barred Olive Egger from hipeatall
Silver Pencilled Plymouth Rocks from Wynette
Coronation Sussex from Sir Giles flock
Blue, Black, Splash Orpingtons from Gumpsgirl

and lastly directly from the inventor of the laced brahmas Dan Powell, I've got hatching

Buff laced Brahmas
Gold laced Brahmas
Silver laced Brahmas
http://www.oneearthfarm.com/chickens/brahmas.html

I was asking for a more specific response, I guess. Are you trying to increase the health of the chickens, or their visual appearance? And how does one know that they're breeding a healthy chicken, since many animals' health problems do not present themselves right away?

How does one train in this discipline, anyway?

It's a fascinating and thought provoking topic.

Quote:
Sorry i didn't respond to your specific question. In a given breeding program the birds could be at the "project" stage, almost extinct stage or perfection stage (and I'm sure that there are many other stages in between!)
But basically if the birds are in the project stage or have been on the almost extinct list, they "need a lot of work" meaning that for every chick you raise (and you have to raise many many) you need to study and follow the standards of perfection and cull (or don't use in your breeding program) any that don't fit that standard. If you are inventing a breed/variety then you may have your own standards to which you need to follow to the tee!

Regarding the health of the chickens, well you don't use any of the chickens in your breeding program that show signs of any health problems, thus ending up with a hearty strong breed. I breed for vitality, health, standards or perfection. In any breeding program it takes time to perfect them and by the time you are ready to release them to people you should have had enough time to get to a very healthy strong bird.

Hope I answered your question without sounding preachy
smile.png

Last edited:
"I have over a million eggs in the incubator hatching this week!! :lol

Cheryl, Ill take ten thousand each of the Brahmas, and five thousand each of the Welsummer and Olive Eggers. That should leave plenty thousands for everyone else...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom