Bay Area BYCers!

Quote:
I talked to Bridgette a couple of days ago & she does have them but she has left for Colorado for 6 weeks & has a house/chicken sitter til she gets back. She says she has nothing to sell this time of year not in anybreeds I think she meant. She said later in the Fall she will have started birds for sale. I was looking for a couple of breeds for a friend & one for myself. I am going to try LF Salmon Favorelle Silver Dorkings. I resorted to hatching eggs again. My first batch of Silver Dorkings arrived terribly damages so the breeder very willingly has resent. My Salmon Favorelles have not arrived yet & I put the Patridge Pendesencas in this morning. Those eggs were surprisingly dark. I had never seen them before & no longer trust the pictures I see on line....LOL
Hopefully I have Mottled Javas hatching tomorrow. I am soooooooooo bad about NOT candling. I can't see through my Marans eggs or the Ameraucanas so I just leave everything. I guess I am a lazy hatcher.................maybe that should be my sign in........LOL
Karen in Turlock

Penes????? Hi BUDDY!!!!

Jeremy,

Here are some new pics of Lemon Drop and Cosette. I'm headed out to work now but would love to hear your opinion of them.
smile.png

55754_lemondropb6june2011.jpg

55754_lemondropc6june2011.jpg

55754_lemondropf6june2011.jpg

55754_lemondropb7june2011.jpg

55754_cosettelemondrop6june2011.jpg

55754_cosettea6june2011.jpg

55754_cosettec6june2011.jpg

Quote:
Bantam or LF?

(You'll find better quality and a bigger color variety in bantams.)

LF

I looked around a bit & didn't see much & recently bought some hatching eggs on a BYC auction (I think that's where I got them. I will have to check my records). They were only selling 6 eggs at a time & they are White Crested Black Polish but I put them in yesterday.

Quote:
Jeremy, I just locked down eggs from Bridgitte. They included a few Faverolle, a bunch of Andalusians, and a few Orloffs. I can't seem to get any of the Sumatras to lockdown. I really need a good Sumatra cock. She had ?s about the fertility in the Faverolles, but they seem good... We'll see in a few days. Wow... I forgot she was gone for 6 weeks... How am I going to get my next batch of eggs? WIll I resort to shipping?

Quote:
I saw Bridgets White Faced Black Spanish when I was down there a few weeks ago. Stunning birds. I tried to get eggs, but none were available. I reckon she is incubating everything that comes out of them. If anyone who knows Bridget has not gone out to her place, DO IT. It is chicken utopia. She was not there the last time I went down, so I got to walk around and spend time. All SQ birds, several dozen breeds, and an unreal number of youngsters. (600+ under 2 months is a conservative estimate). Complete sensory overload. One of the interesting things I noticed is that she keeps a large rooster in the grow out pens. She uses Shamo and Brazilians for her baby sitters. When I was there a large snake kept trying to sneak into one of the grow out pens. You think Broodies give stink eye? Try a fully grown Shamo protecting juveniles. Every time the snake poked its head in to the pen, The Shamo was right there waiting. Awesome.

Quote:
Lovely Debi! I'm a bit biased, but I think they both look beautiful right now.

Lemon Drop looks like his hackles are marked with black a bit too much, this is something I'm working to remove from my line. The SOP calls for male hackles to be a deep orange color throughout, free of black striping. However very few W/BW males have completely clean hackles- so it's something all breeders are working towards. I really like his blue color, it looks lighter than Claudes, I prefer the lighter blues. All of that said, he's still very young and will change dramatically over the next few months and I'm very critical of my cockerels/roosters, probably more so that I should be... I'm impressed with his leg color, it's a nice slate blue.

Cosette... well, she's gorgeous! I love her pale creamy Wheaten color. She looks to have some "gingery" brown color in her hackles, you want some color there but no black or blue ticking. I can't really tell from the pictures if she's marked. She has a really sweet face though. I'm so glad you ended up with a pullet.
smile.png

Luke isn't kidding, Bridget's place is like a chicken zoo. I was really impressed when I visited.

I'm trying my best to actually not go back and pick up some more!

Back
Top Bottom