Bay Area BYCers!

Yeah but I want to make sure I get something out of this hen this year, so I'm going to hatch it out. She's almost 6 years old, so this may be her last year to get anything from her and since she usually lays the hardest egg, I'm hoping what comes out lays as dark.

Hi Angela!
frow.gif
Hi Jeremy!

You guys won't believe what happened yesterday. I was hauling King feed bags to the back of the breeder pens and as I'm walking back out, I notice dead on the ground my 2nd jubilee rooster.

I must have swung the pen door on him, neck broken. I cried, gawd was he gorgeous. I'm so thankful I have my main rooster left.

As I was mourning outside the pen, he at least gave me hope, as he mounted 2 of the girls
hit.gif

I called Karen and I'm sending him to her, he'll make the most magnificent earrings - I just couldn't stand for him to go to waste :(
I'm so sorry Cheryl! I don't know how many times I've seen my hens' heads pull back just in time and felt my heart lurch.

Chick season is coming! I've told myself I can have no more than six new chicks this year. I'm thinking of the following; Dark Brahma, Jersey Black Giant, Speckled Sussex, Cuckoo Marans, Silver Spangled Hamburg, Black Australorp - I'd like any comments / opinions on these as they'll all be new to me.

Thanks.

Brahma's are my favorite breed EVER. Cheryl can agree their personalities are amazing my rooster hasn't fully grown yet and he's nearly 12lbs.

You guys won't believe what happened yesterday. I was hauling King feed bags to the back of the breeder pens and as I'm walking back out, I notice dead on the ground my 2nd jubilee rooster.

I must have swung the pen door on him, neck broken. I cried, gawd was he gorgeous. I'm so thankful I have my main rooster left.

As I was mourning outside the pen, he at least gave me hope, as he mounted 2 of the girls
hit.gif

I called Karen and I'm sending him to her, he'll make the most magnificent earrings - I just couldn't stand for him to go to waste :(

OMG Cheryl, I'm so sorry! It happens. Always something weird too.

May not make you feel any better, but remember several months back when I dropped a dog house on 3 of mine? There's a day that sticks in the mind. I was sick about it for months.

I candled the first egg from my Platinum Sumatra pen last night and it showed major signs of development, lots of veins!!! :D

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I wanted to get the words from the local folks...
big_smile.png

We are looking to move from the Peninsula to the East Bay. We have chickens, so it's important to me to find a chicken-friendly area with a good school district. As you know, it's hard to find the rules for some towns. We are hoping for Lafayette/Moraga, but also looking at San Ramon, Alamo, Danville and Castro Valley. From what I have heard for Lafayette...4 chickens, 1/2 acre minimum lot. Anyone know how accurate that is? What about the other towns?

Thanks so much in advance!!

thumbsup.gif

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I wanted to get the words from the local folks...
big_smile.png

We are looking to move from the Peninsula to the East Bay. We have chickens, so it's important to me to find a chicken-friendly area with a good school district. As you know, it's hard to find the rules for some towns. We are hoping for Lafayette/Moraga, but also looking at San Ramon, Alamo, Danville and Castro Valley. From what I have heard for Lafayette...4 chickens, 1/2 acre minimum lot. Anyone know how accurate that is? What about the other towns?

Thanks so much in advance!!

thumbsup.gif

Hi,

Check out the LORE site--Many of the Cities are there:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ect-find-submit-local-chicken-laws-ordinances

Good House Hunting
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom