Bay Area BYCers!

According to the County Assessor records, your address is located within Pittsburg so you are talking to the right person.

As I noted below, the regulations have not changed to allow for keeping fowl at the home although I do understand that it is becoming more common in various communities throughout California. You are more than welcome to bring this matter up at the next City Council meeting during public comments. This is the time set aside for residents to bring matters of interest up to the Council. Basically, you should share the reasons that you believe that chickens should be allowed at residences within the City and ask that staff be directed to amend the municipal code to allow this.

Again, the next Council meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 16 at 7 p.m. at Pittsburg City Hall, 65 Civic Avenue, 3rd floor. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Leigha Schmidt Associate Planner 925-252-4015

Anyone want to go with me?

Anybody in the bay need any roosters? We have a bunch that we will be taking to auction this weekend if not sold to a good home.

$5 each or best offer
Pumpkin Hulsey Game Fowl Cockerel - 1+ month old
BLRW x Sexlink = 1+ month old
Black Brama = 2 months old
Leghorn = 1 year

Last edited:
Stephanie - How scary! I'll be thinking 'bout you both. I can only share something that happened when I was young. We returned from vacation to find that our young rooster was huddled in the corner of the coop protecting one side of his body where he had been attacked. His upper leg and area beneath his wing was completely ripped open. We didn't know for how long he had been like that or if he would make it. Once we separated him to make sure that the others didn't attack him my parents decided to leave him alone...offer food and water and see what happened. Amazingly enough he recovered! I'm sure if my parents had taken care of him the way you have taken care of Violetta he would have healed faster!

Cheryl, I can't thank you enough!
hugs.gif

I'm leaving Violetta in the cat carrier for now. She is laying down, looking comfortable, and resting for the first time since last night. I'll keep you posted. I have to go buy supplies.

I checked on your avocados. You have both Type A and Type B, so you're good. Mine could use the conjugal visit, though. It's little blossoms are starting to burst! My Bacon has no blossoms yet.

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier! We had a raccoon attack last fall and had a similar injury. We went to Dr. Otten at All Creatures Vet in San Leandro and he was fantastic. Saved our injured chickens and didn't charge an arm and a leg. Highly recommend him!

In reference to my request regarding who might take a rooster and not kill it, here's a picture of him. He is gorgeous. He's the one in the back with the black and white coloring. He's 4 months old. Thanks!

Stephanie - How scary! I'll be thinking 'bout you both. I can only share something that happened when I was young. We returned from vacation to find that our young rooster was huddled in the corner of the coop protecting one side of his body where he had been attacked. His upper leg and area beneath his wing was completely ripped open. We didn't know for how long he had been like that or if he would make it. Once we separated him to make sure that the others didn't attack him my parents decided to leave him alone...offer food and water and see what happened. Amazingly enough he recovered! I'm sure if my parents had taken care of him the way you have taken care of Violetta he would have healed faster!

Thanks for the good thoughts. Cheryl knew exactly what to do. I was pretty useless, but at least I know about avocado trees!

It sounds like your rooster had almost the exact same gigantic wound as Violetta. It runs from the front of her wing down her side and all the way past her "knee." (Do chickens have knees?) It does my heart good to know that your rooster recovered.

Violetta was a trooper throughout the wound cleaning. I was amazed at how well she stayed still. She didn't much like the tube feeding, but she sure seems happy now. It's probably almost time for another feeding, now that I think about it.

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier! We had a raccoon attack last fall and had a similar injury. We went to Dr. Otten at All Creatures Vet in San Leandro and he was fantastic. Saved our injured chickens and didn't charge an arm and a leg. Highly recommend him!
Thanks for the recommendation. At this point, I'm confident that we've done everything a vet would do for Violetta. She's resting, and looks very comfortable (for the condition she's in.)

Cheryl, I can't thank you enough!
hugs.gif

I'm leaving Violetta in the cat carrier for now. She is laying down, looking comfortable, and resting for the first time since last night. I'll keep you posted. I have to go buy supplies.

I checked on your avocados. You have both Type A and Type B, so you're good. Mine could use the conjugal visit, though. It's little blossoms are starting to burst! My Bacon has no blossoms yet.

Violetta is in good hands, I'm so glad she looked as good as she did, I'm keeping her and you in my thoughts. AND bring that avocado over for some avocado sweet talking!

Thanks for the good thoughts. Cheryl knew exactly what to do. I was pretty useless, but at least I know about avocado trees!

It sounds like your rooster had almost the exact same gigantic wound as Violetta. It runs from the front of her wing down her side and all the way past her "knee." (Do chickens have knees?) It does my heart good to know that your rooster recovered.

Violetta was a trooper throughout the wound cleaning. I was amazed at how well she stayed still. She didn't much like the tube feeding, but she sure seems happy now. It's probably almost time for another feeding, now that I think about it.

I don't seem to be able to get any more pain pills for her, but I understand aspirin can be given - I just pulled this from a quote from Chookchick who I trust, she "administered 1/2 an 81mg coated aspirin every 4-6 hours. I gave her yogurt to soften the effect on her digestive system. My vet agreed this was great and suggested I attempt to give her a little Maalox for the acidic qualities"

In reference to my request regarding who might take a rooster and not kill it, here's a picture of him. He is gorgeous. He's the one in the back with the black and white coloring. He's 4 months old. Thanks!

He's a Polish right? What color is he supposed to be? Is he bantam or LF?

Back
Top Bottom