Bay Area BYCers!

Hey everyone! Just reporting in...I have a nice flock of 7. 3 are laying consistently (2-3 eggs a day) and the other 4 pullets should be laying in a few weeks. The pecking order has fully been established, but they are quite content.

I do have one issue...i think i have a cockerel. The past 2 mornings i have been abruptly woken by crowing. I think my black astrualorp is not the hen I was promised. Any ideas? Could it still be a female who is crowing...i have read that does happen. She/he is definitely still young but has been fluffing the neck feathers and being aggressive towards another chicken (could the other one be a male as well...none of the other fight).

Please help! Cheers

Get outside and shovel some bird poop. The Thodes had best of show and I had res of show with a Runner Duck.

Walt

wait - you let a froo froo bird beat you ? :)
I am really pushing my luck now right?

We went and looked at them all yesterday, my pick didnt do as good as I thought, Jordan liked the Old english hen - my favorite was the bantam leghorn hen in the pen to the left as you faced them.

wait - you let a froo froo bird beat you ? :)
I am really pushing my luck now right?

We went and looked at them all yesterday, my pick didnt do as good as I thought, Jordan liked the Old english hen - my favorite was the bantam leghorn hen in the pen to the left as you faced them.

The oegb was Res Bantam of the Show, so Jordan has a good eye. So do you...those Leghorn Females are very good birds. They could have done well, but today was not their day. This is a little early for the shows and my birds, but the Thodes had a nice Silkie.....sometimes the sissy birds win.. lol

My birds look different when they are in a show...don't they?

Walt

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Just reporting in...I have a nice flock of 7. 3 are laying consistently (2-3 eggs a day) and the other 4 pullets should be laying in a few weeks. The pecking order has fully been established, but they are quite content.

I do have one issue...i think i have a cockerel. The past 2 mornings i have been abruptly woken by crowing. I think my black astrualorp is not the hen I was promised. Any ideas? Could it still be a female who is crowing...i have read that does happen. She/he is definitely still young but has been fluffing the neck feathers and being aggressive towards another chicken (could the other one be a male as well...none of the other fight).

Please help! Cheers

You should post some pictures of the bird in question, I'm sure we'd be able to help you determine it's gender.
smile.png

Hi everyone!

I had another question about the Heirloom Expo. Is it worth buying tix in advance or will just paying at the door be fine? I'm definitely going to try for at least one day at the expo
smile.png

Reminder: Entries for the Heirloom Poultry Show are due by Aug. 28th.

Walt

Hi Walt,

Thank you for the reminder. I am really excited about that show and trying to decide what to bring if anything. We breed Silver Campines, BLRW, and have Cheryl's old SPPR flock. Any suggestions as this will be our first show. :)

thank you and look forward to seeing you again!

Looking to pick up a few NICE BLRW hens. Anyone willing to part or trade? Must be able to meet what we are breeding for = yellow yellow yellow legs, correct comb, and thin to medium lacing.

Back
Top Bottom