Bay area, Fort bragg, Willits, Ukiah, Sacramento, Tracy, CA or Reno

My brooder is up and running. Better late than never.
hide.gif
Everything looks good.

Quote:
Oh no! She already came to pick them up today! I will call her Friday since I'm gone all day tomorrow and see if she will take pics and send them to me. I'm sorry, I wish I'd seen this sooner.
sad.png

I received my chicks from Mr. Blehm last Monday. It was originally to be 7 hatchery choice Ameracauna bantams and 3 Vorwerk bantams, but the Vorwerks that were supposed to hatch for my order didn't. So I ended up getting 6 Vorwerks hatchlings from the previous week PLUS two extra Ameracauna biddies! Unfortunately, one of my black Ameracaunas had to be put down; it was weak from the start and never got better. The rest are doing fine. The Vorwerks are a bit psycho in nature, but they're warming up to me... a little. The lavender Ameracaunas are also peculiar, because the love to peck at the side of the brooder for no particular reason. I think they just like to make noise so I'll come in to check on them.
lol.png

My babies after the first couple of days:

47116_dsc00608.jpg

Good luck with your birds!

I would love to see pictures of everyone’s chicks. Or get an update – what you originally got, what you kept. Do you like them? Are they what you expected?

Here are mine – I originally ordered 3 black, but there was a packing peanut added to the box and I added him to my order – he is a lavender? (looked like a splash chick not a yellow “white” chick) Out of 4, I ended with 2 pullets and 2 cockerels.

I love their full and fluffy beards/muffs. They seems small to me (go ahead and laugh Sunny), I hatched a clutch 10 days after these hatched and raised them together. In this face off – you can see my black cockerel HR Puff n Stuff on the left and an Orpington (Splash roo over Buff hen) chick on the right. HR’s legs just seem so tiny. I guess it really is not fair to compare them, but their fineness changes my plans for them.

DSC_0143.jpg

More HR

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

Looking at a plane

DSC_0138.jpg

Flrpl – my Lavender cockerel (could he be white? – he sure looks white next to a white chicken).

DSC_0031.jpg

White bird on right
DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

The girls

DSC_0449.jpg

Witchie Poo

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

Gertrude

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

HR with the girls

DSC_0095.jpg

Their new favorite place – yup, that is a BBQ.

DSC_0168.jpg

Heya Horsefeathers! I started with 3 Black Am chicks. Very quickly, one stood out as a roo, so I sold him at Chickenstock, and bought what everyone, including me, thought was another pullet from the same hatch from SunnyDawn. Within a week of Chickenstock, two of my remaining birds, including the one from Sunny, grew really big, and had dramatic tail growth. Everyone of them started having red combs. They DO have impressive beards and muffs!
love.gif
. However, as time went by, and long, pointy saddle feathers grew in, it was sadly apparent that I ended up with ALL roos. I got no pullets from this experience. I need to sell all the roos.
hit.gif
I have a solid home for one of them, a tentative home for the second, but am still looking for a place to rehome the third. Fortunately, I came upon some Barnevelder pullets for myself and Sunny, so we will have some pullet action this year. But, no Ameraucanas for me this year.
sad.png

I do have pics. The boyz are beautiful!! Too bad I can't have roos here.
18671_pict4402.jpg

18671_pict4405.jpg

18671_pict4422.jpg

18671_pict4433.jpg

18671_pict4407.jpg

Last edited:
Oh no - OrpManor, that is hard. I would be happy to let you know if I have pullets next year, and maybe we can find a way to get them to you (if you have room and such then).

The cockerel facing right - third to last picture - he looks like he has a nice tail. HR's tail was scraggly for a long time - still kind of thin - and Flrpl still does not really have a tail.
smile.png

Quote:
yep, that's the bird from SunnyDawn. He's a beaute! I've named him Clark Kent (tall, dark, handsome, shy.....someday will be Superman!
smile.png
)

eta- oops, I got that wrong. Clark is second from last. Third from last is Bubba (aka BB= Beautiful Boy, Big Boy, Hubba Bubba
lol.png
) He has the best tail, but Clark is catching up, and the little demon (General Napoleon) is starting to feather out nicely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom