Baytril and eggs

joesandy1822

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Hello. My duck had bumblefoot surgery last Monday. She was fine up until a couple days ago, when she developed quite a limp. The wound itself looks very clean, and has healed well (from outward appearances). Based on my call to the vet, he decided to put her on Baytril for 10 days. It is about a 90 minute drive one way to see him, so we had a phone conference. He is not an avian vet, but was highly recommended by the lady I adopted my two ducks from. I ended up having to drive there anyway, because of the legalities behind prescribing Baytril.

I am a little perplexed. He cautioned me that the only way he could prescribe the Baytril, because of FDA regulations, was to inform me that I could NEVER eat her eggs again, EVER. I don’t HAVE to eat her eggs, although I enjoy them daily. But this sounds strange. I would think that the antibiotic would eventually clear out of her system.

Anybody have experience with this? I’d hate to be throwing her eggs out every day. Seems very wrong (to me).

Thanks for listening, and your thoughts.

We have used Baytril here for many years and have not tossed a single egg because of it.
May I ask what type and dosage you use? He prescribed pills, which I can get her to easily take by splitting them in 4 pieces and putting them in blueberries. But I know for a lot less money, I can get a liquid form of 10% from bird product suppliers. Just curious of your method.

Back
Top Bottom