Baytril for ripped spur?

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
so came home to find my boy with a half ripped-off spur. I cannot figure out what happened, but there was a lot of blood. I have him all bandaged up with antibiotic cream. This happened yesterday.

T oday, he was HOT. I gave him a new bandage with fresh antiobiotic cream. But he was HOT. so decided to give him so baytril mixed with some apple sauce. ......is this okay? He is in a lot of pain.

any idea of how long I should medicate him, if baytril is all right?

If anyone has any tips, I would love them. I love my little grumpy jerk.

Did you mean to start 2 threads?https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/baytril-for-half-ripped-off-spur.1450288/

Please get some photos of the damage.

What Baytril do you have and what dose are you giving?

How old is he?
What's your weather like?
Is he eating/drinking o.k.?
How did he damage the spur - pen fighting, got hung in something?
Any other injuries?

When did the injury happen?
Any rotten odors, oozing, pus?

Last edited:
Did you mean to start 2 threads?https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/baytril-for-half-ripped-off-spur.1450288/

Please get some photos of the damage.

What Baytril do you have and what dose are you giving?

How old is he?
What's your weather like?
Is he eating/drinking o.k.?
How did he damage the spur - pen fighting, got hung in something?
Any other injuries?

When did the injury happen?
Any rotten odors, oozing, pus?
No, I did not mean to make 2 threads. I thought I was editing one, and somehow I made 2. I couldn't figure out how to delete it, so I thought maybe a moderator would do it.

He is almost 2
Weather is in the 30s in the morning and 40-50s in the day (Illinois)
Eating/drinking/ "servicing the hens" normal
Not sure how he damaged it. I can home from work and husband was out with the dog when I came home to see the injury. No other injuries

Happened Thurday, probably around 4-5:45pm. I got home to see him at 5:45 pm.

No other issues, just dried blood on the spur at this point

I can't take a picture until tonight when I change his bandage.

I have Baytril 10% oral. I started at a lower dose. He is a big boy, production red, so I have him . 0.5 (mg?) .....I cannot see the measurement part of the syringe, it has faded off. That is what I gave the hens last time I used it.

Thank you

Eating/drinking/ "servicing the hens" normal

Happened Thurday

No other issues, just dried blood on the spur at this point
I have Baytril 10% oral. I started at a lower dose. He is a big boy, production red, so I have him . 0.5 (mg?)

So he weighs about 10 pounds? Baytril 10% oral dosage is 0.05 ml per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 5-6 days.

He's active/eating/drinking, etc. Since you started the Baytril, then I would finish the course of treatment.
Normally something like a busted spur will heal fine without antibiotics unless it gets infected.
Depends on what it looks like, damage from each case can be different, but for busted up spurs, I just apply triple antibiotic ointment, then wrap well. I change the wraps every other day unless it gets wet or heavily soiled, then once a day. I keep wrapped until the bird is completely healed - again each case is different, but about 3 weeks or I think about leaving wraps off.
He will be sore for a while, but that will resolve once he's healed some.

Back
Top Bottom