BB White turkey -- Its A Boy!

CatJane0x0

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2010
Alpena, MI
I think this is a hen....but I want to ask. What do you think?? No gobbles, but some short struts maybe once in a rare while. (I hear the hens can strut, too.) I hope this is a female turkey since they won't get as heavy as the boys usually and most of all I don't want crushed lady chickens! Plus, she (I hope) is such a sweet thing. No older than 2 1/2 months old by the way.
Thanks in advance --

100_5642.jpg

100_5652.jpg

100_5653.jpg

100_5649.jpg

100_5654.jpg

100_5628.jpg

Last edited:
A bit soon to be sure but that snood looks a bit long for a hen. The profile looks a bit male too.

Is that his/her usual sleeping position?

Yeah, I figured it may be too soon yet. I really hope it is a hen. I brought this one home from a friend's flock. Yes, that is how he/she seems to rest every once in a while...but he/she'll roost with the chickens at night. The picture with the tail out is right after I woke her/him. Runs around and hops in the air like a nut with the chickens, so exercise is at a good level. I think everything is okay as much for being a Broad breasted turkey goes at least, though. Goofy bird. I am hopeful for good health at least for a couple years, but understand what I may be in for. Each day is worth something for him/her-- she/he is happy for now.
smile.png

Last edited:
It does have a bit of a masculine look, but tell you what. I have 11 BBW poults, received on 5/26 so they are about 2 1/2 months old. I have to go outside after DH calls to let me know that he made it safely to work and I'll go look at them. I should have some of both sexes, then I'll give you an updated opinion. If I can find a battery for my camera, maybe I can get some pictures for you soon?

Editing to add mine aren't gobbling yet either. They don't start that until they are a bit older...

Last edited:
I was just out looking at my poults, out of 11 there is one that I *think* is a hen. It has feathering on the neck almost up to the base of the skull and a very small, hairy snood. I really am leaning towards thinking that you have a jake.

I will have to be patient and keeping waiting for a gobble. Whatever it is...it is a very sweet bird. If I have to, I will put together a pen inside the barn and outside for him so he doesn't hurt my hens. I will post updated photos when I notice changes. I think in the near future I may be looking at buying some Bourbon Red or Midget White eggs to hatch.
smile.png

Any other ideas/pics on the gender would be great! Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Some suggest looking at their middle toes.......if they're much longer than the others, that suggests a male, and has proven true with my turkeys. If it's middle toe length is closer to the same length as the other toes, then a hen.

BTW, I have a hen that puffs up constantly at my oldest daughter (the hen doesn't like her AT ALL) so don't rule out the puffy stances as contributing male factor.........a hen can definitely stand her ground--and well
wink.png

I think it might be a hen I too am having trouble deciding on some of mine 4 I know are boys but really I could have 11 hens.......well time will tell good thing I like hens to eat

Back
Top Bottom