BBB Turkeys

Cold Canadian

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Manitoba Canada
Are there any breeders of this breed out there ? It would seem that they are being phased out in Canada ! They are being replaced by a hybrid "" Orlopp "" and I'd like to keep a heritage breed instead of this hybrid

I guess it's not a Heritage breed , but it's closer then the Orlopp will ever be .I like the BBB , I have standard Bronze , but would like a few BBB's as well .

They aren't hard to come by here in the states. But I don't know about breeding them. I think they are a hybrid and if so they wouldn't breed true. If they aren't, they are still too large to breed naturally. You would be looking at AI for breeding.

The Orlopp is just a different strain of the BBB, that why it has a different name. Same hybrid/genetic tinkering as the old BBB that Rochester hatchery use to have. Their own line got whiped out and they cannot sell another farms line without putting the companies name on it.
Neither strain are heritage.

Last edited:
Broad Breasted Bronzes (and Whites) are not heritage turkeys, they are commercial varieties that have been selected over time to have extremely big breasts and therefore cannot reproduce naturally. They must be artificially inseminated in most cases. If you want a natural turkey you can breed you need to look into the heritage breeds like Royal Palms, Narragansett, Sweetgrass etc...

A really cool place to check out Heritage Turkeys is porterturkeys.com.

Hope this helps!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hey WMR how are your turkeys doing? I seem to recall you were getting some Sweetgrass, right?

Hi there!!! Most of the BBB we had are gone (yum!) I still have one left, doing great and yep we are getting some Sweetgrass poults, I've emailed Porter's as to an estimated shipping date, but no response so I'll call them here pretty soon... Working on the new coop and pen for them. The coop will be approx 8' x 16' and the run I'm hoping to get around 60' x 100'.
big_smile.png

Here's our BBB...

Sweet! Mine are both gone now, too. Thanksgiving (tom) was 36 lbs. dressed. Christmas (hen) was 22 lbs. dressed.

60x100 is a big run - but I think that's what you need to really do it right for turkeys. That's the only thing that is stopping me from ordering some heritage turkeys for next year - the prospect of having to build another large run for them!

Back
Top Bottom