BBS genetics work on all blue/black birds?

joletabey

SDWD!!!!
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
western NC
I know this is ignorant, but I can't seem to find the answer - does the BBS breeding percentages work no matter what breed? Like BBS Orpingtons crossed with a blue or black americauna? If you had a Blue Orp roo and a blue Americauna hen do you get the same breakdown? Thanks for your patience.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Yes, but the percentages are based on large numbers. You could breed blue x blue and get all blue or all black or black and splash and no blue if you are hatching small numbers of eggs. Breeds don't matter.

Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
Funny, I asked the same thing today. I guess we're in "class" together. I'm sitting at my desk with my pencil in hand next to you eagerly awaiting more chicken knowledge.
lol.png

joletabey

SDWD!!!!
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
western NC
new2chooks- you don't know how often I have read a thread and you have asked exactly the question I was about to ask-
lau.gif

lawatt

Songster
7 Years
Jul 7, 2012
sonoma county
reviving this thread, as i have a similar question -- do ALL black, blue, or splash chickens work genetically in this way? i.e. if i bred my black australorp with a blue isbar, would the resulting crossed chicks be a mixture of black, blue, and splash, or would the all-black australorp somehow "override" the other colors?

or maybe a better way of asking the question is, are there any black (or blue, or splash) chickens that are always that color? or will they always vary in a BBS pattern if blue is involved?

(i seem to be WAY behind the rest of you in Chicken Genetics 101 class!)

Last edited:

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom