BBW escapee

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Airplaneguy57, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Songster

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    I feel sometimes animals find ways of looking for a good home. Last Friday my brother was at the gas station when animal control pulled up. He looks in the truck and there is a Tom BBW. He asked where did he get turkey and the animal control guy said he found him walking down the road. He stopped picked him up and was driving down the road with him. The AC asked my brother if he knew anyone who wanted a turkey. So the wife and I picked him up, saw he had lice so he was treated before coming home. He is isolated from my other birds for a couple weeks. He is so awesome. My female BBW seems not interested. I know they can't, you know. But as long as he doesn't hurt Izzy then Riddock can stay.

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Wow that's awesome! What a lucky turkey! [​IMG]

3. Frosty

Frosty Crowing

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Are you sure it's a BBW and not a white heritage? Glad he has a good home!

4. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Songster

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    Now that you brought that up I know. How would you tell.

5. Frosty

Frosty Crowing

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Considering that he would probably be from last year, is he big to the point that he waddles or can he walk fine? Does he appear front heavy? Heritage turkeys have White Holland, Midget White, and Beltsville White. Here is the turkey page for Steve's turkeys, he has all three pictured. http://www.sandspoultry.com/turkeys.htm

If it's a Broad Breasted, the only way I would see it walking along a road would be if it fell off a truck or something. Once they get big, they don't tend to really wander far like heritage birds can.

6. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Songster

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    The easiest way I found to tell the difference between a BBW and a holland is the eyes. Hollands have blue eyes. I'll look at them Thursday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: