BBW Turkeys

hgequest

Hatching
Apr 22, 2020
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here - obviously - this is my first post. I've always had chickens, but I am a first time turkey owner. I have 2 BBWs. Upon adopting them, I knew they were BBWs and I was determined that regardless of how long they lived, I was going to give them the best life possible. I've done a little bit of research on what they'll need to stay healthy for as long as possible, but I also wanted to know if anyone had any first hand experience? I absolutely adore my babies. I think they're about 3-4 weeks old right now, and because I work from home, they spend a minimum of 6 hours a day with me. Whenever I'm not in the room with them (currently brooding in our sun room), they cry and pace constantly. They follow me around wherever I go and are incredibly snuggly. I love all of my pets - but I am uber attached to these little ones and I cannot even begin to think about them living only 16-20 weeks. So, my questions are:

1) Diet specifics for BBWs. And at what age should you start making these changes? Right now as babies their on a high protein chick started specifically for turkeys.
2) Am I wrong in thinking the more exercise, the better? If we go on walks with them as adults and let them be free range that would help?
3) Does anyone have their turkeys living inside? Are there any turkey diapers?
4) Can anyone tell me about their experience in managing diet and exercise for your BBW?

Thank you guys so much! A few pictures.....

IMG_6727.jpeg
IMG_6904.jpeg

Those are meat turkeys, so may not be the best pets. They get pretty messy, large, and less energetic as they get older.

@Turkey parents can give you information on keeping turkeys in the house. You may have to do a search for his posts.

Many companies sell starter feed that they falsely claim is appropriate for turkey poults. What starter feed are you using? I feed mine a 28% protein turkey or game bird starter. It is recommended to feed this for the first 6 to 8 weeks. It is important that they get this type of starter for at least the first two weeks. They really need the higher niacin and thiamine levels for proper development especially in their leg joints.

Free range and exercise helps.

Sorry, but be prepared to have your heart broken by them when they pass. If you are lucky, they will be hens and have a slightly better chance of beating the odds than toms will have.

Feed says game bird starter - 28% protein.

I'm sure they aren't met to be pets - and my heart will be broken if they die in 5 months or 5 years - but at least I can give them a life other than just being raised to eat. Thank you for suggestion on searching that user's posts. :)

Hi Everyone!

I'm new here - obviously - this is my first post. I've always had chickens, but I am a first time turkey owner. I have 2 BBWs. Upon adopting them, I knew they were BBWs and I was determined that regardless of how long they lived, I was going to give them the best life possible. I've done a little bit of research on what they'll need to stay healthy for as long as possible, but I also wanted to know if anyone had any first hand experience? I absolutely adore my babies. I think they're about 3-4 weeks old right now, and because I work from home, they spend a minimum of 6 hours a day with me. Whenever I'm not in the room with them (currently brooding in our sun room), they cry and pace constantly. They follow me around wherever I go and are incredibly snuggly. I love all of my pets - but I am uber attached to these little ones and I cannot even begin to think about them living only 16-20 weeks. So, my questions are:

1) Diet specifics for BBWs. And at what age should you start making these changes? Right now as babies their on a high protein chick started specifically for turkeys.
2) Am I wrong in thinking the more exercise, the better? If we go on walks with them as adults and let them be free range that would help?
3) Does anyone have their turkeys living inside? Are there any turkey diapers?
4) Can anyone tell me about their experience in managing diet and exercise for your BBW?

Thank you guys so much! A few pictures.....

View attachment 2103053View attachment 2103061

I have one turkey living inside full time and 6 others that get to come in under special circumstances. Even the bird that stays inside full time gets outside to feed, and dust bathe. My wife has custom made diapers for each individual bird, and we use puppy pads to give my house turkey a break. I've posted pictures on Facebook a couple times, I honestly need to get more but every time I think to take pictures I have taken it off and my goofy hen is strutting, preening my hands, or doing something else that incites laughter and feelings of admiration and affection. Start with puppy pads, measure and cut to fit them use the fitted puppy pads as a pattern to fit cloth diapers. Take the fitted cloth diapers wrap them around plastic to catch the runny stuff, use toddler suspenders to hold them on. We are constantly redesigning and upgrading our design. There are supposedly places online that sell turkey diapers, but we've found that no two turkeys are built exactly alike much like humans what fits me won't fit you.

Thank you so much! Would love to see photos of your house turkey :) I just don't understand how mine are going to enjoy living outside as they're still crying every time I leave for even 5 minutes. I'm not sure if that goes away with age or not? I've had chickens my entire life and have never had the chickens be this personable and affectionate.

Right now they're still small enough to be in their brooder, but we're outside together (again, I get to work from home so can do this!) 5-6 hours a day and go on lots of walks!

I have PTSD and Athena is my support. She will show concern for me and my wife when we're sick but if I'm hurting like tonight (work related injury) she'll force me to lay down. I know that sounds strange but she will follow me every making the aggressive sounds until I lay down them she crawls into my armpit lays down and goes to sleep. Most birds will stop crying for a person passed a certain age, but if they become dependent on you rather than independent then you're in for the long haul. They can and in the case of Athena (and two others I've had) will develop strong bonds with a person. Athena is my buddy no matter what happens she's always there for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_000628.jpg
    IMG_20200320_000628.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 8
Sorry I meant to attach these to the last reply but couldn't figure it out. You'll notice she has a tendency to try to tell me when she's ready to get up for the day. She's a Bourbon Red Heritage variety

Attachments

• received_846451659072898.jpeg
    received_846451659072898.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 8
  • received_2310241639052897.jpeg
    received_2310241639052897.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20170803_083358.jpg
    IMG_20170803_083358.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20170824_064725.jpg
    IMG_20170824_064725.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 7
Thought this might be helpful for anyone who has baby turkeys who don't want to be left alone. Ours would "cry" when put down and just wanted to cuddle all the time. WE got them a wool "feather" duster and they are much calmer now. They cuddle under it and seem very content now.

Attachments

• Turkey - with duster.jpg
    Turkey - with duster.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Turkey - duster.jpg
    Turkey - duster.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom