BCM 25 weeks, no eggs

Thank you! I've been sure to supply extra calcium (crushed egg shells as well as oyster shells), plenty of BSF larvae, and of course their layer feed. They also free range from about 9 am until dark. Is there anything else they may need? This is my first year with chickens. Trying to make sure I'm doing everything right to have happy ladies😊
Just be careful with treats. Ideally they should be no more than 10% of their total diet. So about a tablespoon per hen. Too many treats are associated with fatty liver disease, it kills. Hen's tend to develop fat around their organs so it's hard to tell if they are getting obese by looking at them.

Layer feed is okay for hens. For roosters it can cause gout and kidney stones over the long term. I have a rooster and birds of mixed ages so I feed a flock raiser that is higher in protein with oyster shell in a separate dish. This gives everyone a higher level of protein and not too much calcium for the non-laying birds.

They may decide to lay out in their range area.
This has been a concern of mine. I do make it a point to walk the fence line at least twice a day, making sure to use a stick to move around the vines/brush that is there. We have 2 nesting boxes in the coop, but the 2 EEs that currently lay do it in the corner of the coop🤦🏼‍♀️😂 always the same corner at least lol

Just be careful with treats. Ideally they should be no more than 10% of their total diet. So about a tablespoon per hen. Too many treats are associated with fatty liver disease, it kills. Hen's tend to develop fat around their organs so it's hard to tell if they are getting obese by looking at them.

Layer feed is okay for hens. For roosters it can cause gout and kidney stones over the long term. I have a rooster and birds of mixed ages so I feed a flock raiser that is higher in protein with oyster shell in a separate dish. This gives everyone a higher level of protein and not too much calcium for the non-laying birds.
I've gotta run to the feed store today, so I'll see what else they have. I know there's layer feed, chick feed, and 5 grain scratch, as I buy those already (I also have a pen of 7 week old chicks).

the 2 EEs that currently lay do it in the corner of the coop🤦🏼‍♀️😂 always the same corner at least lol
I have a young Wyandotte that does this too. Everyone else lays in the nest boxes except her! 🤪

Flock Raiser or Chick Feed is fine for everyone for life. That way you are buying one type of feed for everyone. The name 'chick feed' is a misnomer. It is healthy for all chickens. Saves a lot of hassle at feeding time for me too.

I have a young Wyandotte that does this too. Everyone else lays in the nest boxes except her! 🤪

Flock Raiser or Chick Feed is fine for everyone for life. That way you are buying one type of feed for everyone. The name 'chick feed' is a misnomer. It is healthy for all chickens. Saves a lot of hassle at feeding time for me too.
Oh perfect, I'll stick to chick feed then. I live for simplicity 😂

You can put fake eggs in the nest boxes to show them where to lay.

And whenever you decide to make changes to their diet, do it slowly over the course of at least 7-10 days mixing new and old feed and slowly increasing the amount of the new.
Abrupt changes in feed can cause stress molting and stop egg laying.

You can put fake eggs in the nest boxes to show them where to lay.

And whenever you decide to make changes to their diet, do it slowly over the course of at least 7-10 days mixing new and old feed and slowly increasing the amount of the new.
Abrupt changes in feed can cause stress molting and stop egg laying.
I have fake eggs in the boxes. The little heifers get up there just to throw the egg out and poop😂😂

Back
Top Bottom