BCM Chick Gender - Place Your Bets!

TheLaboratoryBF

Songster
8 Years
Mar 18, 2015
Central Valley, California
Full disclosure: I have a DNA gender test pending for this 3-week-old chick (and results should be forthcoming any day now), so I am curious what everyone thinks this little dude/dudette might be.

Stats:

Breed: black copper Marans
Source: brought home as day-old straight run chick from NPIP-certified breeder

(...and yes, I know it is too young to do more than just guess at sex, this is just more for fun to see if your hunches/old wive’s tales/experience help you guess correctly, or at least within 99.9% accuracy)

03DAEF91-825F-46FB-B182-A080FA7E541A.jpeg
7D07AB4B-D7B3-40A1-AF11-8901DB0F9E7E.jpeg
FF5984A6-2A92-4E33-91DE-49701FD6CFF0.jpeg
0BFBC192-6642-4CD5-949D-2F4B7A797901.jpeg
3359CB3F-AB11-4254-9040-127E4B5D5933.jpeg

I hope you are right! I’m taking solace in the fact that even though it’s comb is *SLIGHTLY* more pronounced than the other chicks I have in the brooder (that are sexed pullets), it has no pink tone whatsoever and I don’t see any waddles starting...but this chick has tree trunks for legs, so I’m worried...

I’ve tentatively named it May...as in “May or may not be a boy...”

How much does that cost?
Did you draw the blood yourself?

:gig :gig

I used IQ Bird Testing out of Miami, FL, and they charge $11.99/sample for DNA sexing. Yes, just a quick nip (no pun intended) of the toe nail and few drops of blood on the sample card and away you go. Feathers or eggshell can also be submitted but this chick is not old enough for specific feathers needed and I don’t have the shell it hatched out of.

Welp, I just got word from the lab that results are being delayed due to reduced staffing/hours (related to COVID-19 requirements)...no word on when I'll be getting said results, so I guess I'll just have to wait (patience is not my strong suit) so...any more guesses on my chick? I will continue to post pictures as the weeks progress to get a better idea (starting with 4-week-old photos shortly)...it's comb is still the same size and color (flesh colored with no pink whatsoever and no wattles to speak of).

Let me know what you think!

Back
Top Bottom