BCM Chick Gender - Place Your Bets!

Ended up getting the results back this afternoon and IT’S A GIRL!

I actually submitted two samples; one for this BCM and a lavender Marans and they both came back as female!

903B9FF0-51BF-48A9-93B5-83CBD9EE2326.jpeg 9E1C4522-4EE9-402D-9AB0-04D5D7B4BAF9.jpeg

Full disclosure: I have a DNA gender test pending for this 3-week-old chick (and results should be forthcoming any day now), so I am curious what everyone thinks this little dude/dudette might be.

Stats:

Breed: black copper Marans
Source: brought home as day-old straight run chick from NPIP-certified breeder

(...and yes, I know it is too young to do more than just guess at sex, this is just more for fun to see if your hunches/old wive’s tales/experience help you guess correctly, or at least within 99.9% accuracy)

View attachment 2071564View attachment 2071565View attachment 2071566View attachment 2071567View attachment 2071568
Pullet

I have a hard time with this breed... to me they all look like cockerels about 90% of the time :confused:
I'm so happy they turned out to be pullets!! :woot :)

This is my first time with Marans and I agree! She has legs like tree trunks, huge feet, and big comb (even though no pink or wattles) which all had me leaning cockerel...she’ll just be one big mama when she’s grown.

BCM are one of my favorite breeds to have. (my avatar might give that away) I loved my roosters more than any other breed as they were gentle and smart (for a rooster...) and beautiful. I would have guessed pullet for your chicken. Good luck with her, hope she's a dark brown egger.

BCM are one of my favorite breeds to have. (my avatar might give that away) I loved my roosters more than any other breed as they were gentle and smart (for a rooster...) and beautiful. I would have guessed pullet for your chicken. Good luck with her, hope she's a dark brown egger.

I’m excited to finally have one! She’s from a reputable NPIP-certified breeder in my area and her Marans lay a consistently dark egg, so I’m hopeful.

Remember for the future if you breed her to a blue egg rooster, the hens from that union will lay a green/olive egg. I bred my BCM roo to a Cream Legbar hen and got the most beautiful black pullets with a black crest on their heads and lovely green eggs. I miss those days...

Back
Top Bottom