BCM chick webbed toe

Amydls

Chirping
Mar 14, 2018
One of my BCM chicks has the dreaded webbed issue - not as bad as most examples that I have seen of others and the chick seems to walk just fine. Should I do something about this one or leave it ? This is a pet chicken for egg laying not to be bred at all. I don’t want to cause the chick any unnecessary distress and potentially lose it if it’s not worth doing. Chick is approx 12 days old.

Attachments

• 059AE97A-DB25-49EE-B38C-76975152B7F6.jpeg
    059AE97A-DB25-49EE-B38C-76975152B7F6.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 15
  • 69619876-F86E-4BEA-90FE-80D0569EBF4B.jpeg
    69619876-F86E-4BEA-90FE-80D0569EBF4B.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 10
Whether you decide to intervene or not would depend on how the chick walks. If it appears to be getting around normally, that is, not falling from balance problems, I would do nothing.

If it has problems walking, then I would do a tiny exploratory snip with scissors to see how much of a blood supply the web has. You might find that it doesn't bleed much if at all, in which case I would just go ahead and snip the web to separate the toes. Under sterile conditions of course, using Vetericyn to hasten healing.

Whether you decide to intervene or not would depend on how the chick walks. If it appears to be getting around normally, that is, not falling from balance problems, I would do nothing.

If it has problems walking, then I would do a tiny exploratory snip with scissors to see how much of a blood supply the web has. You might find that it doesn't bleed much if at all, in which case I would just go ahead and snip the web to separate the toes. Under sterile conditions of course, using Vetericyn to hasten healing.

Thanks - that’s my current feeling as I don’t see any issues with the way the chick walks... hopefully it won’t worsen as the chick gets older and develops. I’ve seen much worse examples of this issue so maybe this little chick will be ok - thanks for your input

Back
Top Bottom