BCM poor egg quality

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
Marie, our BCM, started out laying strong, she rarely misses a day and had large eggs for a pullet. For about the past week or two, her eggs have become super fragile and all I see are egg shell bits, with smeared yolk all over our other eggs 😩 They eat a local mill blend (Country Companion) layer pellet, have oyster shell available at all times, and range the yard for greens. I also give our scraps, cabbage, mixed veggie frozen packs, and scrambled eggs with shell. Many of the other ladies have calcium deposits on their shells. Going to try crushed tums, any other ideas? I’m getting super frustrated with the mess

Have you seen her eat oyster shell? You can try serving her a private breakfast if you aren't sure. Isolate her 2-3x a week and serve a small bowl (like 1 Tbsp is fine) of wet or fermented feed with oyster shell mixed in. If she does not like chunks of oyster shell, crush it up or use the powdery remnants from bottom of the bag. Should only take her minutes to eat and after that she's free to go.

Assuming her issue is simply insufficient calcium intake, you should see results in a week or two, and you can try reducing it to 1-2x a week and should hopefully continue getting good results. If you still have the same issue, then you might need to try pills of calcium citrate instead for a faster, bigger calcium boost.

Have you seen her eat oyster shell? You can try serving her a private breakfast if you aren't sure. Isolate her 2-3x a week and serve a small bowl (like 1 Tbsp is fine) of wet or fermented feed with oyster shell mixed in. If she does not like chunks of oyster shell, crush it up or use the powdery remnants from bottom of the bag. Should only take her minutes to eat and after that she's free to go.

Assuming her issue is simply insufficient calcium intake, you should see results in a week or two, and you can try reducing it to 1-2x a week and should hopefully continue getting good results. If you still have the same issue, then you might need to try pills of calcium citrate instead for a faster, bigger calcium boost.
I haven’t, but I think I’ll give it a go! She’s not super low on the pecking order, but not high either. We FINALLY got her first intact egg today 🎉 I want to keep that up for sure

Back
Top Bottom