BCM roo over Delaware hen

ALWAZL8

Chirping
Apr 26, 2019
Monroe, LA
This baby is from the above pairing. From what I understand in reading threads here, this is a sex linked baby roo judging by the barring, correct?

Attachments

• 20201119_092943.jpg
    20201119_092943.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20201119_092825.jpg
    20201119_092825.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20201119_092747.jpg
    20201119_092747.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 57
This baby is from the above pairing. From what I understand in reading threads here, this is a sex linked baby roo judging by the barring, correct?

Sex-linked pullet! There are two main kinds of sex-linking, and you've managed to get them both in one cross. Both ways show her to be female.

You've got a gold-silver sexlink ("gold" Black Copper Maran rooster, "silver" Delaware hen), so because this chick is gold (brown), she is a pullet.

You also have a barred sexlink (not-barred BCM rooster, barred Delaware hen). There are no white bars on the chick, so pullet. Also no white head spot, which comes from the barring gene, so again pullet.

Sex-linked barring is always white bars on some background, not bars of brown & black.

I have some sex links that are BCM roo x barred rock hen, and the females look like BCM while the males have more the coloring of the hen. Wouldn't this be the same principle? There are red sex links that are RIR rooster and delaware hen, and the boys look like delawares and the girls look like the RIR but with bits of white.

I have some sex links that are BCM roo x barred rock hen, and the females look like BCM while the males have more the coloring of the hen. Wouldn't this be the same principle? There are red sex links that are RIR rooster and delaware hen, and the boys look like delawares and the girls look like the RIR but with bits of white.
Yes.

Sex-linked pullet! There are two main kinds of sex-linking, and you've managed to get them both in one cross. Both ways show her to be female.

You've got a gold-silver sexlink ("gold" Black Copper Maran rooster, "silver" Delaware hen), so because this chick is gold (brown), she is a pullet.

You also have a barred sexlink (not-barred BCM rooster, barred Delaware hen). There are no white bars on the chick, so pullet. Also no white head spot, which comes from the barring gene, so again pullet.

Sex-linked barring is always white bars on some background, not bars of brown & black.

Yaaayyyy!!! I didn't know the part about the barring being white, but I did know about the white spot on the head. That's what was throwing me off about this one.... no white spot on the head, just the coloring and barring. Her sibling is DEFINITELY a roo! LOL He has the white spot on his head and is more silver and black with some barring and huge feet.

Yaaayyyy!!! I didn't know the part about the barring being white, but I did know about the white spot on the head. That's what was throwing me off about this one.... no white spot on the head, just the coloring and barring. Her sibling is DEFINITELY a roo! LOL He has the white spot on his head and is more silver and black with some barring and huge feet.
She isn’t barred.
All barred birds have a white spot as chicks.
Yours is vaguely pencilled, but not barred.

Back
Top Bottom