Be careful using bricks in your duck pool

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
My ducks had a hard time getting in and out of their kiddy pool so I threw some of those reddish landscaping bricks with the three arches on the top in to make stairs in and out of the pool. These were bricks that had been sitting out in the rain for a long time so I figured they'd be fine. A couple days later the water started turning reddish purple. I didnt think anything of it, thought maybe it was from oak leaves falling in but then the slight reddish purple color turned into a very dark maroon. I just dumped it out and the water smelled awful, not a "duck awful" but it had a chemical smell to it kinda like some sort of solvent.

My ducks seem fine but just thought I'd start this thread so others don't use those bricks.

I use bricks also, and have seen the color change too, but the color will also change in pools that don’t have any bricks in them. So I’m not so sure the bricks are the cause :confused:
I think I’ve only seen in when I’ve left the water too long without changing. Never seen any issues with the ducks from it.

The red bricks have a dye in them. Although I’m not sure the level of toxicity (if any), I avoid them. Our Lowe’s/Home Depot both sell grey ones that haven’t been dyed, which I’ve used. They also have some great tumbled (dye-free) bricks that aren’t very expensive, a little gentler on the ducky feet, and look nice and a little more natural.

Back
Top Bottom