beagle around Chickens

i have beagles and they WILL kill them if not properly trained
so i would catch that dog or keep the animals away safe.

He is my family's dog and I am just saying what his reaction to the chickens and peacocks down the road.
cool.png

Let me tell you the story of my beagle... He's the sweetest, most loving dog ever and I wouldn't trade him for anything... but a few months ago I had five baby chicks in the garage. They were in rubbermaid bins on the floor. DH had the garage door open one day and was watching the race or something (yes, he has a TV out there). He and Max (the beagle) sat there for over an hour together, Max on the floor at his feet, not paying one bit of attention to the chickies (or so we thought).

DH got up and walked across the garage, within two seconds of him turning his back, Max had grabbed a baby and was gone out the door. TWO SECONDS. He sat there for over an hour just waiting for DH to move or turn his head...

I have 4 beagles, two have NO hunt drive and don't care a bit about the chickens, the other two chase and kill anything that moves

Even the beagles with no drive I would be careful about since it is their nature to hunt.

My "house" beagle has been trained to leave the chickens alone, but when I turn my back she slinks over the the spare room (brooder room) and watches them. I can just see her thinking "now if my snack would just come a little closer...."

good luck!
Margaret

My old beagle (r.i.p. my sweet Daisy
hit.gif
) never took a second look at the chickens, unless they were pulling at her fur while she was napping, which they seemed to like to do.
Her only interest was in tracking a scent to its source, and since the chickens didn't hide from her, what was the fun in tracking them?

I have a 4 year old beagle/basset mix and when we lived a little more in the country she would get out and track rabbits, birds, cats - she did help in kiling a cat with one of the other dogs.
she has never had any hunting training so it was pretty cool to see her track the rabbit and flush it out.
I have put her on the leash and taken her into the chicken yard but she was more interested in the chicken poop
tongue.png
I would never leave her in there off leash with or without me there - I love her but dont trust her she has chased them up and down the fence while she was on the outside of the chicken yard so I can only imagine she would chase them in the yard if given the chance.

Julie

Today my beagle got left out and while I was gone got 4 free range chickens and my mallard duck. other chickens have feathers pulled out.

My beagle is the most docile loving beagle, but the birds are more than che can take.

ANy suggestions on how to break her of this habit?

Gretchen

Quote:
Sport Dog training collar...Maybe I'm just sick, but seems like a fun game... Dog gets too close the the chickens...zap.... runs over to the neighbors...zap....gets into trash...zap.... You just sit there in your chair training your dog.... A couple zaps(it's not that strong to hurt it) and a smart dog will get the hint... Just an idea... My wife won't let me do this...(in theory should work)

I have a beagle, she is a pain...but for the most part leaves the chickens alone. the ducks she is curious about, but the chickens peck her...and she is a baby so one peck and she is outta there...

I have a beagle that adopted us. She has been afraid of her own shadow until recently when she started wanting to play with the cat. She has left the chickens and ducks alone but we are still keeping our eye on her. Have to remember that dogs and cats are predators and chickens are prey. Like some of the previous posts have mentioned, the dog can get your birds before you know it.

Back
Top Bottom