Beak clips for Roosters that are over-mating my hens

chickepoo; I have 2 roosters and 1 hen, thought I was getting 3 chickens, but I feel the same way as you... I could never kill my roosters and one of them has even started going for me when I go into the coop!! I agree with the suggestion that you need to separate them to keep the hen from getting molested. What a miserable life she will have if it continues.

You need to kill those roosters,or sell them.You will not have healthy hens if they stay.the welfare of your hens are at stake,so take good advice and get rid of those roosters,or get out of the chicken business.

Quote:
I don't see anywhere that you mention your hen to rooster ratio; maybe you have too few hens for your number of roosters?

I'm a new chicken owner but I've owned horses for years, so I'll come at this from that perspective.

A) If I had a special needs horse like your hen Bobbles, I would be sure only to turn her out with other horses that were gentle with her and respected her.

B) If I had one or two horses that repeatedly beat up the other horses and did not want to sell them for some reason, then those one or two horses would be separated from the rest of the herd. Period. No exceptions. It is patently unfair for the animals that display good behaviour to be consistently punished by those who are bullies. Truth of the matter is that there are too many good horses out there to keep a bully, just like there are too many good roosters too keep a bully, but if you have to keep them then they need to be in their own pen for the safety and happiness of your hens and your good rooster.

C) Mean, aggressive stallions have a tendency to produce mean, aggressive offspring. I can only hypothesize that roosters are the same. Why would you want to continue that kind of bloodline? Your next set of chicks from your good rooster may produce some nice cockerels, but I doubt any chicks from your mean roos would be much better.

I say you lock them up until your 1 m/o pullets are 5 m/o and then they will do well with the new hen/roo ratio. They'll also have been separated for so long they'll have to see dominance again...which may or may not matter.

OK , I know this is an old thread, and I was wondering about clipping my roosters beak just a little cause he gets a little crazy with the hens. He made a sore on one hen that took awhile to heal so he has his own cage. But I want to raise some chicks now that the weather is warmer. So, wouldn't it work to clip his beak a little so he doesn't hurt the hens ? Nevermind, he's behaving now and is enjoying his company LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom