Beak concerns

Ssutor

Chirping
Aug 25, 2020
Hi All, I have been noticing some dark spots on our ducks beak at the top. It does at times look a little sore/red. The last few days she has developed a pink scab on the bottom of her beak, any advice?

Attachments

• 737C9CA3-8B40-48A0-991A-B5933CF53779.png
    737C9CA3-8B40-48A0-991A-B5933CF53779.png
    4 MB · Views: 17
  • D1173FBB-73AB-40DF-91C5-264BDEBA9E61.png
    D1173FBB-73AB-40DF-91C5-264BDEBA9E61.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 9
She's probably noodling and rubbing it on something hard or sharp. Their beaks are coated with a layer of keratin and will heal themselves. I believe the equivalent would be a blood blister under your fingernail.

If it hasn't broken the skin it should resolve itself on its own, but keep an eye on it.

My duck has had similar, but worse, and since we were at the vet for an unrelated issue I asked about it. The vet was not concerned at all and suspected it was caused by physical trauma, possibly fencing. She told me I could put a very thin layer of antibacterial ointment (without pain reliever) on it daily if I wanted to. She made it sound very optional. I did it because I had to grab my duck and medicate her for her other condition. It healed, but slowly, which seems to be normal for bill injuries. At follow up visits my vet was pleased with the progress.

As already mentioned, those lesions often develop when the duck is rubbing the bill through something continuously throughout the day. If you have a wire pen, they may try and poke their bills through the wire to reach green grass. If you are not using a wide-open feeder, you may try switching to a bigger one in case they are scraping their bills on the feeder/waterer

The best treatment for the problem would be identifying what is causing the problem to start in the first place. Try sitting out with the flock and watch whether they are scraping it on anything.

Back
Top Bottom