Beak filing?

You have several past ER threads - which hen is it?
The one that you think may have Ascites?

Trimming or filing the beak may help a little, but if she's got some reproductive problems this is likely the cause of her decline.
The lower beak is a little longer, so provide her with a deep dish and wet feed so she can scoop the feed.

An antibiotic may help if she has infection but it's not a cure for reproductive disorders. Medications can be part of supportive care to make a hen more comfortable for a short period of time.
The crop being empty all the time is not really a good sign. What's her poop like - do you have photos?

You have several past ER threads - which hen is it?
The one that you think may have Ascites?

Trimming or filing the beak may help a little, but if she's got some reproductive problems this is likely the cause of her decline.
The lower beak is a little longer, so provide her with a deep dish and wet feed so she can scoop the feed.

An antibiotic may help if she has infection but it's not a cure for reproductive disorders. Medications can be part of supportive care to make a hen more comfortable for a short period of time.
The crop being empty all the time is not really a good sign. What's her poop like - do you have photos?
No not the one with ascites, the lethargic no appetite post one. But good news about the one with ascites.. I have been giving her a mix of water acv cinnamon and oregano and her ascites has calmed down greatly! And do you mean mixing her regular feed with water and seeing if she will eat that? And she sleeps in a nesting box at night so I can see her poop in the morning and I haven’t really been seeing any... if anything i usually find a pretty small one. But about three days ago she had a regular poop and it looked completely normal. That’s why I’m confused because besides the beak I can’t find any exterior things wrong with her. And she seems to be worsening as the days go by

No not the one with ascites, the lethargic no appetite post one. But good news about the one with ascites.. I have been giving her a mix of water acv cinnamon and oregano and her ascites has calmed down greatly! And do you mean mixing her regular feed with water and seeing if she will eat that? And she sleeps in a nesting box at night so I can see her poop in the morning and I haven’t really been seeing any... if anything i usually find a pretty small one. But about three days ago she had a regular poop and it looked completely normal. That’s why I’m confused because besides the beak I can’t find any exterior things wrong with her. And she seems to be worsening as the days go by
Glad the one with ascites is doing better.

So this one with the beak - are you sure her crop is empty first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink?
I would also feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid too.
Having not many poops or they are small/thin, then she may have a blockage. As to the cause, it's hard to know - may be gizzard, intestines or she has inflammation somewhere. A lot of times you won't know unless you lose them and a necropsy is done.

Yes, I would offer wet soaked feed. She if this interests her.

@Wyorp Rock what about boiled or scrambled egg? Would that be good for her to eat? That's something that doesn't get turned down here. Of course her feed, moistened would be best, but just in case. @Eddie12109
In case egg is good, I oftentimes moisten the egg and add some feed because the feed is most important. Please wait for @Wyorp Rock to ok this as she's amazing and knows her stuff. I wouldn't want to mess up any progress or plan in place.

@Wyorp Rock what about boiled or scrambled egg? Would that be good for her to eat? That's something that doesn't get turned down here. Of course her feed, moistened would be best, but just in case. @Eddie12109
In case egg is good, I oftentimes moisten the egg and add some feed because the feed is most important. Please wait for @Wyorp Rock to ok this as she's amazing and knows her stuff. I wouldn't want to mess up any progress or plan in place.
Egg is fine :)

Glad the one with ascites is doing better.

So this one with the beak - are you sure her crop is empty first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink?
I would also feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid too.
Having not many poops or they are small/thin, then she may have a blockage. As to the cause, it's hard to know - may be gizzard, intestines or she has inflammation somewhere. A lot of times you won't know unless you lose them and a necropsy is done.

Yes, I would offer wet soaked feed. She if this interests her.
So I don’t think I need to feel her crop in the morning because throughout the day it is usually empty. Yes she has no ascites or bloating but her keel bone is becoming more prominent. I usually give out mealworms or bread or something like that and she isn’t interested, she is interested in watermelon sometimes though. She does seem to be eating the feed so I will do the wet mash.

Yes I will try that as well tomorrow and see what happens.. thanks!

Ok so an update: I filed her beak a bunch today and it is looking really good. Since I have to go somewhere I couldn’t clip it or make it too short just in case it bled a lot but I will work on it more when I get back. I put her in an egg laying box with wet mash and watermelon and she didn’t seem interested so when I gave the watermelon to the other chickens she actually did try to eat one. I put wet mash in an old chicken waterer but she only seems interested in the dry, regular feed. I am going to see if she will eat egg soon as well. She seems to be trying to eat the feed but she is also just laying around and doesn’t seem that well.

When she eats, it looks like it is difficult for her to. Like her mouth is too dry or something like that but it could just be her beak difficulties. I was watching her and an actual spit bubble came out of the side of her mouth while she ate.

I’m no expert but I believe your hen is in her last days, hours. I know her beak is a little longer than normal, but I also believe her major problem is inside of her. I have had two hens to die on their own and two others that I had to euthanize. I did a necropsy on all four, only to find problems that no vet or medicine could have cured. Three of my hens were filled with tumors and one had Egg Yolk Peritonitis (EYP), all fatal illnesses. IMO, your girl is doing what a declining bird does, pulls away, and stops eating (not because of her beak though.) And what you are noticing with the more and more prominent keel is her wasting away. Feeding her now is only prolonging things. I would go ahead and call in your back up to euthanize her. She is not well and nature is taking its course.

I truly am sorry you are going through this, but unfortunately it is part of being a responsible flock owner. Best of luck to you and your girl.

Back
Top Bottom