Beak filing?

I’m no expert but I believe your hen is in her last days, hours. I know her beak is a little longer than normal, but I also believe her major problem is inside of her. I have had two hens to die on their own and two others that I had to euthanize. I did a necropsy on all four, only to find problems that no vet or medicine could have cured. Three of my hens were filled with tumors and one had Egg Yolk Peritonitis (EYP), all fatal illnesses. IMO, your girl is doing what a declining bird does, pulls away, and stops eating (not because of her beak though.) And what you are noticing with the more and more prominent keel is her wasting away. Feeding her now is only prolonging things. I would go ahead and call in your back up to euthanize her. She is not well and nature is taking its course.

I truly am sorry you are going through this, but unfortunately it is part of being a responsible flock owner. Best of luck to you and your girl.
Thank you for that, I have been thinking that it is tumors or something like that. Before I decide that is what is happening though, I want to ask about one more thing it could be. I was watching her eat egg and she actually ate some but not much. While she eats though, she brings her head up and seems to be stretching her neck and opening her mouth. Could that be worms? Or is it a part of the major problem? But thank you for that, I appreciate your advice and telling me about your own experience.

Thank you for that, I have been thinking that it is tumors or something like that. Before I decide that is what is happening though, I want to ask about one more thing it could be. I was watching her eat egg and she actually ate some but not much. While she eats though, she brings her head up and seems to be stretching her neck and opening her mouth. Could that be worms? Or is it a part of the major problem? But thank you for that, I appreciate your advice and telling me about your own experience.
Could be. I don’t know much about gape worms. Is she shaking her head or coughing any, like she’s trying to “hack” something up?

ETA: I’m also not sure if eating triggers any of the gape worm symptoms. Gape worms are in the trachea (pipe going to the lungs), not in the esophagus (pipe going to the gut.)

Could be. I don’t know much about gape worms. Is she shaking her head or coughing any, like she’s trying to “hack” something up?
I have seen her shaking her head but not coughing or making any noise like that. I just tried to give her some safeguard and I got some in her. But she only does it after she has eaten or drank something I think, at least through what I have seen.

I have seen her shaking her head but not coughing or making any noise like that. I just tried to give her some safeguard and I got some in her. But she only does it after she has eaten or drank something I think, at least through what I have seen.
I added to my last post about eating.

Also, small birds (bantams) and young birds seem to be affected by gape worms more. Your girl’s picture doesn’t look like she’s either one of those.

I am sure your hen is dehydrated (you mentioned dry mouth and bubbles) and what you are seeing might be her having difficulties swallowing food.

Again, I do not know the answers to her problems, but I am just trying to make partially educated guesses based on my own experiences.

Also, small birds (bantams) and young birds seem to be affected by gape worms more. Your girl’s picture doesn’t look like she’s either one of those.

I am sure your hen is dehydrated (you mentioned dry mouth and bubbles) and what you are seeing might be her having difficulties swallowing food.

Again, I do not know the answers to her problems, but I am just trying to make partially educated guesses based on my own experiences.
Yeah I was kind of thinking she was dehydrated. I will try to give her electrolytes when I get home. Also I believe she is a white leghorn so not small. But as long as she is alive I will still give dewormer but dehydration might be a part of the problem.

ETA: I’m also not sure if eating triggers any of the gape worm symptoms. Gape worms are in the trachea (pipe going to the lungs), not in the esophagus (pipe going to the gut.)
I just noticed that she shook her head without being near the food or water. Would safeguard treat for gapeworm?

Yeah I was kind of thinking she was dehydrated. I will try to give her electrolytes when I get home. Also I believe she is a white leghorn so not small. But as long as she is alive I will still give dewormer but dehydration might be a part of the problem.
She’s not a leghorn, most likely a White Rock. She has red earlobes. Leghorns have white ear lobes.

Back
Top Bottom