Beak injury

Castlewood

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
Austin, Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Posting a couple photos of an easter egger that is in some rough shape. She's lost 1/4 of her body weight in the past month. She's not very energetic these days, but we suspect that might be from lack of calories. The only thing that we've noted about her is an injury on her beak by her left nostril. Unsure if this is dried blood or something else. Is this identifiable by anyone in the community?

Thanks!

(Edit: probably good to note that this flock is marek's positive)

wanda half.jpeg
wanda side.jpeg

I would lean toward injury. Just in case, have you looked inside her beak for any lesions?
You mention she's lost weight - has she not been eating/drinking well? What do you feed?
What's her poop like?
Crop emptying overnight?

Having Marek's in your flock, it's possible the weight loss is due to that and she's wasting.
It may be a good idea to check her whole body for any other scabs or lesions. If you find nothing else, then likely the beak I would take a guess is likely just getting in hung in wire or on a feeder.

You mention she's lost weight - has she not been eating/drinking well? What do you feed?
What's her poop like?
Crop emptying overnight?

You bring up a good point that is another variable. We switched feed about two weeks ago. The new feed is H & H Feed ( soy/gmo free with Nutri-Balancer added ). I haven't paid enough attention to see whether she's been avoiding the food. When they free range, she's definitely active, scratches and feeds on grass. I'll keep an eye on her today and pay attention to her stool and if she's near the feed trough.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom