Beak issue--peeling? Breakdown?

untamableshrew

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
Hello!

I have a 1-year old buff Orpington whose beak looks like it's peeling off. She's broody right now, but I'm certain that's unrelated, as this started happening well before she went broody. No other behavioral changes, and it does not appear to hurt her. It's been a few weeks. Initially, I thought it was dirty, but as I've gotten closer looks, I've realized something's wrong. Should I be worried or will this resolve itself?

Thanks!

IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG

What do you mean "break her"?
When people get broodies that they dont want to hatch most people will "break" their broody hens. As in get her out of the broody stage. You will find having a broody chicken can be unhealthy for your bird because all she will do is sit in her nesting box all day and barely get up to eat/drink. So if you do have a broody hen and you dont want to let her hatch any eggs i'd suggest putting her in a cage with nothing but food and water and no bedding. I dont do the hold "putting your chicken in cold water" or "cage" Thing cuz i personally think its cruel so i just let them do their own thing and hatch out a couple of eggs

Hi @untamableshrew :frow Welcome To BYC

It looks like she may have damaged it at some point.

Is she sitting on eggs? If not, then you may want to break her.

Offer some poultry vitamins in her water and give some extra protein like egg, tuna, meat or beef liver.

Hopefully it will start to grow out, the damaged portion may eventually fall off.

Hi @untamableshrew :frow Welcome To BYC

It looks like she may have damaged it at some point.

Is she sitting on eggs? If not, then you may want to break her.

Offer some poultry vitamins in her water and give some extra protein like egg, tuna, meat or beef liver.

Hopefully it will start to grow out, the damaged portion may eventually fall off.
Thank you so much! I'll try your suggestions.

I'm in need of help, first time back yard chicken raiser. We bought 4, day old chicks at local farm store. They are now about 11 weeks old. All 4 was supposed to be hens. I'm pretty sure two if not all of them are roosters. Here are some pictures any help will be great.
IMG_4795.JPG
IMG_4795.JPG
IMG_4798.JPG

One more question, the hen?? or Rooster pictured, every time I go outside in the yard, it will come running at me and peck me on the leg. Is this normal?

Looks like you've got yourself some roosters, It is not weird for a rooster to run up to you and attack, But if this IS happening i wouldnt keep him in with your flock, especially if their are any small children with you. Your best chance with him it to cull him. If he continues to attack you in the mean-time, Give him a good-old kick!

Back
Top Bottom