Beak not closing

Jsto

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
North Carolina
Just went out to clean out the coop and noticed 2 of my 6 weekers aren't closing their beaks all the way. It's most obvious in Stevie my Deleware, though. It doesn't really seem that her upper beak is curving inward or anything to prevent her from closing it, but there is a bit of space between the upper and lower that I haven't noticed before. There isn't much space and it doesn't look like they're panting or anything. Just wondering if this is normal or what could cause it.

Meanwhile, I'm still up to my eyeballs in the nasty 'cecal' feces. Is it ever going to stop coming so frequently?!

They've been out in the coop for a week now and I suppose I'm just waiting for something horrible to happen since I should've kept them in longer! They think I'm nuts too. They're having a blast out there.

edited because apparently I can't type!

Last edited:
Hum... I guess I've never had this kind of problem. I'm sorry, but I really can't help you. You might can try calling the Vet.?. But, most of the time they really don't know much about chickens. Hopefully someone has had this type of problem and will help you out!

Good Luck!,
Andi

Here is a pic of my Araucana Bantam, she has a problem with her beak, as it wont close either. she has a large gap. but her problem is that her top beak curves too far, and hits the bottom part. but she is 3 months old, and gets along just fine. she can eat and drink just like everyone else, just in her own unique way.
smile.png

101_1154.jpg

Thanks
smile.png
Everything seems fine today, so I think I just had unfortunate timing. Maybe it was just a tiny bit of panting or they had just been pigging out. It's been incredibly humid here and although the coop was staying a nice temperature, the air has been thick. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom