Beak trimmed a bit too far - what do I do?

Years ago, this happened to a hen I was trying to beak trim. She made a sudden movement at the exact moment I was making the clip and profuse bleeding ensued. Lots of blood, lots of pain and shock, and some of that was even experienced by the hen.

Geesh, I felt bad.

Do treat for shock as this is probably the most painful injury a chicken can experience. The beak has more nerve endings and blood supply than anywhere else. Give her warm sugar water with electrolytes for the rest of the day.

The beak will stop bleeding in a few hours. Leave it alone. It will heal in a few days on its own. Give her soft wet food.

Wait a few days until the lower beak has healed and scabbed over and the pain has subsided before trimming the upper.
That’s exactly what happened with my BooBoo. She is so squirmy and stubborn, so she’s always the worst one when trimming beaks.

I will. Thank you.

Is there anyway you can use corn starch to stop bleeding, then wrap it some how? Even if you took a very little bit of paper towel, put corn starch on it, then stretched some vet wrap around the beak end and super glued the vet wrap in place? I don't know, just trying to think of a way to hold pressure and protect the beak end.
Super glue over the area after bleeding stops isn't a bad idea.

You might want to give her 1/2 a baby aspirin in her beak. I've used half a normal Aspirin with no issues, but you might want to stick to whats usually recommend.
Cut it in half, pinch either side of her beak to get her to open. She'll squirm and toss her head. Once she stops, pop the aspirin down her throat. It will go down like candy.

Good luck! Poor girl, I hope she heals up soon.

Last edited:
No, I’m kind of hesitant with that idea. She would probably not like that at all, and I wouldn’t want to mess her up anymore than I already have.
Did it stop bleeding ? If it continues, I really recommend superglue to seal it and allow it to properly clot. I know it’s very stressful to see them like that. It has help save me on those occasions where my dogs nail is bleeding non stop all because they accidentally moved when I was clipping. But the glue seals the area from reopening and bleeding since they walk with their feet.

Did you Dremel the beak or clip it?

So sorry, I forgot to update. My Booboo was bleeding on and off yesterday, but she stopped bleeding for about 2-3 hours before bedtime, so I fed her some scrambled egg to make sure that she would fill up her crop before bed, and she ate even more than her non-crossbeaked sister. There was no blood either, so she got to perch with her friends last night. This morning she is eating her crumbles, and I haven’t seen anymore blood, but if she does start bleeding again, then she will go back into her cage.

My mom recommended putting Neosporin on her bottom beak to prevent infection, so that will be done shortly.

@esme13 - we clipped it.

Back
Top Bottom