Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Trim then file

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Do nothing

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cull

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I would handle it with clippers first then a rotary tool carefully (extra hand required to hold them of course). The rotary tools can be sort of scary, so I'd think about a light sheet or towel around the wings and head to keep them calm. Just my opinion
I was just think about trying to find my Dremel!

I don't believe he needs to be culled, especially when he is in the condition to where it could easily be trimmed and he is fine. Of course, you probably do have to trim behind the quick which will precipitate bleeding. This procedure is often undertaken with cross beak which is a more critical condition and they sometimes eat and drink fine (even mine does).

I'm glad you trimmed his beak! It has been a while since I've trimmed some spurs, my roosters never fight so it's just something I let go untouched :oops:
About two years ago I was doing a rooster roundup and grabbed one with really long, sharp spurs. That spur went deep into the the palm of my hand. My hand got infected pretty bad. It happened to DH once too, so now I trim them if I have them caught for something like a beak trim.

About two years ago I was doing a rooster roundup and grabbed one with really long, sharp spurs. That spur went deep into the the palm of my hand. My hand got infected pretty bad. It happened to DH once too, so now I trim them if I have them caught for something like a beak trim.

Oh no! I'm so sorry! Thankfully my boys' spurs aren't that long yet.

Back
Top Bottom