Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Trim then file

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Do nothing

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cull

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A few of my older roosters have longer beaks at times, I trim the with a dog nail trimmer. From my understanding roosters are more prone to beaks growing too long because they spend less time foraging and wearing the beak down than hens. I certainly would never cull a bird over this.
Another good post. :goodpost:

I wouldn't cull for an overgrown beak unless it was chronic. I had a rooster once that had an overgrown beak due to it being damaged from fighting. The two parts didn't meet properly for a while, which was just long enough to screw it up for a bit. Trimmed it once, never had an issue again.
View attachment 1613605
Interesting that it was just a one time deal, have not seen one of those yet.

Interesting that it was just a one time deal, have not seen one of those yet.
His lower beak broke off so it didn't meet correctly, which caused overgrowth in the top. Once it grew out, it was back to proper alignment and he was able to keep it whetted down himself.

His lower beak broke off so it didn't meet correctly, which caused overgrowth in the top. Once it grew out, it was back to proper alignment and he was able to keep it whetted down himself.
Okay, that makes sense. With my boy, I'm pretty sure his is due to a deformity. I'll have to take a closer look the next time I catch him, but I think he has a misalignment that's causing problem.

Back
Top Bottom