Beak trimming

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Scott Turner, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Scott Turner

Scott Turner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Kentucky
    Anyone have any experience in trimming beaks to keep pecking and cannabelism down? Is this something to do and how do you do it?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:If you do a search for beak trimming you get a lot of threads, but not too much detailed info. Seems that trimming is usually just the tip of the beak, done with fingernail clippers. Not sure if this would stop pecking.
    Now debeaking is a bit polarizing. That's when hatcheries remove most of the beak.

Imp

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Pecking and cannibalism are problems that are usually related to overcrowding. An increase in the amount of real estate available to chickens will generally resolve these issues without resorting to debeaking.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Please do NOT do it unless you know exactly how to do it..
    A birds beak is VERY sensitive.. and it WILL hurt them a lot if you do it wrong.
    When i "trimmed" my parrots beak..we just used a metal fingernail file..and took only a tiny bit off the end..
    Also... their beaks have blood in them too.. so if you cut too far down they can bleed heavily...
    When my parrot fell off of his cage and cracked his beak it bled VERY badly.. i didnt even have time to get him to a vet he was bleeding so bad.. they had to talk me through stopping the bleeding over the phone.
    just be careful...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by