Beak Trimming?

SeaisforChicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Pacific Beach, WA
I posted a picture of one of my EE's to ask if it could be roo-ish and got a response to trim her beak. Does anyone do this? At 4-5 weeks, is this necessary? She seems a little smaller than her EE sisters, but is active and one of the loudest of the bunch. I don't think it's affecting her eating or drinking.

Here is a photo. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
86701_photo_60.jpg

86701_photo_59.jpg

I would cull. Unfortunately that is a badly deformed beak - the lower beak is not keeping up with growth. Unfortunately this will in the long run just be a hinderance for her quality of life.

If you do try to keep her alive, I doubt there's much trimming to be done. The top beak is probably all live healthy tissue - if you trim it will cause a great deal of pain and bleeding. Look at the beak and see if you can see a clearish area... think of like a dog's nails where the quick is. Trim back to the live tissue (leaving a bit still on there of course) and that may help, but I seriously doubt it's going to do her much if any good.

I'm sorry
sad.png

OH NO! Poor Piggy!

There is a thin piece of clearish tip... but not a whole lot.

And if I do keep her living, what are the first signs of distress? She really seems to be fine to me, but this is the first time I've raised chicks.

Does anyone else have any recommendations? Please?

wow- that is quite a difference in size! I haven't seen a chick like that. It she were mine, I would probably hang onto her as long as she seems fine and is eating and drinking ok. I tend to be hopeful and optimistic when it comes to problems though, so my advice might not be the best. So sorry you are dealing with this!
hugs.gif

I'm going to keep an eye on her and see how things work out. I really didn't think too much about her beak until someone else pointed it out and now I think the seed is planted. If she seems like she's going south... well I guess I'll cross that bridge.

Back
Top Bottom