Bean Night . . . please post YOUR recipes

Here is this weeks recipe . . . although I think you are all a week behind LOL! . . . it will give you time to get the ingredients because this one is going to be a new adventure for some of you.
WEEK 2
again this will feed 4-5 hungry adults

CHANA MASALA

4 Cans of Garbanzo Beans – rinsed
2 large tomatoes diced (or a can if you don't have fresh)
¼ cup olive oil
2 heaping tablespoons Channa Masala spice
1 cup fried onions

Buy the Channa Masala spice and fried onions at an Indian grocery. Don't buy Tika Masala or Garahm Masala or any others just CHANA MASALA. The fried onions come in a bag, they are sort of like the Durkee ones but different.
Put everything BUT the fried onions in a big pot and add enough water to cover twice. Bring to hard boil on high, and then reduce heat to medium, keep at a rolling boil for 30 min – stirring when needed. Then, reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least an hour, add water when needed to keep about two inches over beans. If your going to be gone all day just throw it in a crock pot and let it do it's thing. About 15 min before serving add the fried onions and stir in, simmer for 10-15 min, sauce will thicken. Serve with Basmati Rice, Naan and/or Raita.

Funny thing is most Americans only ever eat garbanzo beans cold in salads. If you haven't had them cooked before you're in for a treat, they really are very good.
If you have questions on this one ASK me. It is a very simple beans-in-a-pot recipe but new ingredients can be confusing (the first time I made this I added the whole box of spice lol). Kids especially little ones love this healthy dish.

Last edited:
Quote:
You have a husband right? that's you real family. Just cut the recipes in half.
cool.png

Yes I still have the husband after 27 years, and he is very real family. But the man travels Monday thru Friday for work so I only get to cook on the weekends, unless he does something and decides to work at home. P.S> he loves his man cave aka Holiday Inn.
lau.gif
I was inspired by this thread though and cooked black bean soup for myself last night and it was good.

lol My husband has a man cave too . . . if he had to travel to get to it he would! 27 years! you must be doing something right - I just had my one year anniversary after 15 years of raising a large family alone . . . I am so excited about the next half of my life!

OOh yum! I love Garbanzo beans! I always put them in my chili...but can never think what else to do with them...
hmm.png

Thanks for this idea!
smile.png

Quote:
LOL I love it too and use it often . . . even making a foray in to the naturally colored sea salts. BUT try the crazy Janes when cooking, it really is my "secret" ingredient in many things.

What are the crazy Janes? Also I am going to have to find a Indian grocery store also. I am fairly sure that there must be one in the Seattle area.

Quote:
Janes Crazy Mixed up salt - it's a seasoning salt that I am partial to when cooking. You can find it in different grocery stores in the salt section. LOL there are a lot of indian groceries in Seattle!

Back
Top Bottom