Bean Night . . . please post YOUR recipes

Who had the nerve to try the Channa Masala???

Ok, here's a tried and true, but I am thinking maybe some of the young people here might not know how to make it yet. It doesn't get simpler (or better!) than this.

WEEK 3

PINTO BEAN AND HAM HOCKS

4 Cans Pinto Beans
2-3 large Ham Hocks
1 yellow onion – diced & sautéed
1 t black pepper
1/4 cup white wine (i like this but you can leave it out if need be)

Just put it all in a pot cover with water and simmer all day. A crock pot works great for this. Right before serving pull the skin off of the hocks and discard along with bones. Then "mash" the meat so it seperates into threads. Don't add salt to this!
Serve with Corn Bread and cold milk.

Last edited:
lol! okey dokey then here's another simple homey favorite

WEEK 4

KATY’S RED BEANS AND RICE

3 cans of Kidney beans
4 servings of white rice – cooked
1 lb smoked sausage – sliced diagonal
½ lb smoked chicken or turkey - chunked
1 onion – diced
1 bell pepper – diced
2 garlic cloves - diced
2 bay leaves
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1 t Paprika
1 t Cumin
1 T dried parsley OR ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
Crazy Jane’s salt – to taste
2 small or 1 large can Chicken broth

Melt butter in a big pot then lightly sauté onion, bell pepper and garlic in it. Add everything else except rice. Cover well with chicken broth and let simmer all day – perfect for crock pot. Add cooked rice and any additional water about 15 min before serving.

Please tell me how you have liked the others and any changes or tweeks you have made to them!

Last edited:
never cared for Dr. Oz. but I watched his show last week, he was talking about heart problems and since I have had 3 heart surgerys and DH wears a defib, I watched. And would you believe he said dry lima beans was one of the best things you could eat for heart health.So if dry limas are that good guess all the beans are, so your receipes have come at just the right time
thumbsup.gif
marrie

Back
Top Bottom